Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

400ex Ticking and Metal Shavings

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex Ticking and Metal Shavings

I have a 2002 400ex that I just put new rings and gaskets in. After putting it back together I hear a ticking noise and then I thought, tensioner, so I adjusted it and the ticking got quieter. But I randomly checked my oil and it has shavings in it. So, long story short, I have a 400ex with a tick and metal shavings... any help would be much appreciated

Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a lot of things!

Connecting rod bearing is going out and your piston is hitting the bottom of your cylinder.

Crank bearings.

Cam chain bad and hitting the sides.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

if your positive that the metal in the oil is not there from before then yes you have something going wrong inside. I would be starting with the easy and move on from there. Check out the Cam chain and if ok move onto the connecting rod bearings.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, thanks. I'll start with that then first. I'll update as I go

Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
if your positive that the metal in the oil is not there from before then yes you have something going wrong inside. I would be starting with the easy and move on from there. Check out the Cam chain and if ok move onto the connecting rod bearings.

I got the entire top end off. There is very very slight wear on the timing chain. The tensioner is sort of rigged so I ordered a new one. The walls and piston look fine. The only thing I found that has me a little unsettled is one of the rockers(?), I think that is what its called, it sits in the top cover and hits the valves and cam and rocks hence rocker. Three of the rockers, on the arms that hit the cam, bow like a 'U' toward the cam, but one of them bows like a 'N' away from the cam... is that correct or should all four arms bow toward the cam like a 'U'? My common sense says yes but I don't know for sure so I figured I would ask. I'm not seeing metal shavings in the oil like one of my buddies said he did so I think he might just me going blind. But even if there isn't metal in the oil I still have a tick in the engine from something. Once I get the new tensioner I hope that stops the tick.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Usually a "tick" in a thumper is valve train related. I'd verify your valves/rocker arms/springs/retainers & tappets. Take a good look at a fiche...your motor has 2 rockers that are the same and 2 that are different...in the fiche they are all typical rocker configs...so not sure about one bending the wrong way as that would have no mechanical advantage to push the valve open when the cam lobe engages the rocker...

Old 03-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I looked at the cam config and everything looks fine, didnt see anything that would cause concern. I checked my valve lash and the right exhaust (if sitting on the bike) was way loose, so I put it to the correct lash and now the tick is louder than before so I am lost and confused how setting correct lash would make it louder. Timing is correct, chain tension is good, I just can't seem to get it corrected. The lash is set to .005 which is what I found to be correct. But I just realized I didnt put it top dead center before adjusting... more to follow. And yes, you're thinking "wow, stupid" and that is correct

Old 03-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

No stupidity in the willingness to learn...I applaud your desire & efforts...nobody pops outa mamma knowing everything

Old 04-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Fair enough DirtDevil, so i double checked the lash after setting it top dead center again and it wasn't off so that is good. I put it all together and still getting a tick. I think I might have to go to a shop because I think I might be missing something by looking at it myself. Someone I know was telling me that since I changed the valve lash I should check the lobe spacing on the cam... is this a common thing or just a long shot because I honestly think it isn't that. All I did before it started ticking was changed gaskets and rings so that's why I don't understand why it ticks lol just frustrating.