Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

1998 Polaris xplorer 300 4x4 reverse problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 01:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Polaris xplorer 300 4x4 reverse problems

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and need of some help. I resently purchased a 1998 Polaris xplorer 300 4x4. When I test drove it everything worked great, fired right up and ran good. Found some snow to test out the AWD and it worked just fine. The kid I bough it from said he had the top end rebuilt resently. So I bought it and brought it home. Few days later went out for a ride and found out the AWD only works in the forward geer? I know that you have to press the override button for it to engage in reverse but it didn't do anything. What puzzled me the most is that the override indicator lite on the dash would only light up if I pressed it when the 4 wheeler was in forward geer? Is it possible that they have had something wired backwards when they were working on? If so what do I need to do? I am fairly mechanicaly inclined but this really has me confused. I tried tracing the wires to figure out what goes to what but it's hard to do without a wiring diagram.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Old 04-12-2017, 02:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forums. The over ride module itself could be faulty as many have been in the past. You can pull the black wire from the module to bypass and the see if the awd lights up in reverse when you push the over ride button.Others have bypassed the button entirely. See if this helps."Pre 2003 and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/Speedo function button."

"Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v)" Module is item#28 in the parts breakdown if you just want to unplug the black wire first and see if awd works.

Attached Thumbnails 1998 Polaris xplorer 300 4x4 reverse problems-a60f76f8d3ecf32d5ea62d6fe9ac3d0b937b8f95.png  
Old 04-12-2017, 03:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I believe that I tried to bypass the override the other day by disconnecting the wire but the wire that I disconnected was either purple/white or just purple I can't remember off the top of my head. The wire that I disconnected, I had followed right from the override when I did this the only thing that had changed was the indicator light didn't come one at all even in forward gear. If I do what u are saying by cutting the wires, will I still be able to turn the AWD on and off or will it be on permanently all the time?

Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The Black wire from the reverse limiter module. Any other wire and the limiter is still functioning.You want to defeat this module entirely.This black wire ties into the cdi black wire kill circuit and can cause problems.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got it figured out! Thank you for all the help.