Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Hello from SW Ohio!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from SW Ohio!

I'm currently seriously considering a purchase of a SxS. Most likely be going with a 700. I have wooded property about 3 1/2 hours away in another state, but in order to justify the purchase I would need to find places closer to home to ride. In lies my dilemma. I'm not familiar with places around the Dayton area or south to legally take a UTV or atv. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is the only thing stopping me as of now from jumping on board with the purchase. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Not sure about the Dayton area, but southeastern Ohio in the Wayne National forest has some good riding. Not a whole lot closer, but still in the same state.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forums from another Ohioian...I am further north near the Toledo area, sorry to say not much riding area in this state. Our state is missing out on a lot of money bt not expanding the atv/utv riding opportunities in this state. A word of caution the state forests have a 50" maximum width on any offroad machine on their trails. You will need to look for a private riding area which mostly are pay as you ride, typically 20 per day. Perry state Forrest is the one exception in our state is was turned over to a club for maintenance and the state no longer governs the trails so they allow up to 62" wide machines but no trucks or jeeps. A lot of the south including Kentucky and Tenn, their trails have been damaged by heavy rains and storms this spring and riding is poor. Fortunately I live not far from the Michigan line so we plan on doing a lot of Michigan riding this year. They are one of the states that cater to offroad business and have great trail systems and quite a few of them also. Sorry to say, but here in Ohio you will need to travel to find good riding areas unless your fortunate enough to own lots of acres....

Old 06-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi slayer6769: You picked a great website to learn all about the ATV hobby. I have been to Dayton, and more recently to Jackson Center. I'm an Airstream enthusiasts and love to travel in our retirement. The Airstream factory did some significant body repairs on our old trailer.

Your riding opportunity dilemma is exactly why I am an advocate of street legal ATV riding. IF you could ride on secondary roads posted 45 mph or less you would have many more opportunities to use your future side by side. If you lived in Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and some 20 other states, you would be able to license your new side by side. You could run to the hardware store, fuel stop, or take a family member for a ride in the country. You would obey all traffic laws of course. Trail riding is a different experience sure. I live in Colorado with lots of trails close by. But my new Outlander sits in the garage as we don't have street legal laws. Don't tell smokie, but I do sneak out on the streets every now and then as a "farm machine" with a slow moving triangle on the back.

Welcome to the ATV Connection. I see you have already met some fellow Ohioans. You'll have to start a club.

David

Attached Thumbnails Hello from SW Ohio!-1705-crystal-drive-small-.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums!