Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Newbie Looking for first ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Looking for first ride

Hi Everyone,

I just started my search for a quad about 2 weeks ago. Last week I saw a few and was pretty disappointed with what I saw.

Recently a really old machine popped up at a fantastic price WITH a nice aluminum trailer. I am going to see it tomorrow, just hoping excitement doesn't force me to make an offer I will regret later on. Hence this post, I need some advice.

It is a 1981 Polaris Trailboss, 350cc 4x4. Looks to be in great shape. Only thing not working is the speedometer. The trailer is also very nice, with ramps etc. He is asking on point with my budget. If this is a reliable ride and will last me a few years, it would be a great fit and I could probably keep the trailer with newer quads down the road should I find I do a lot of it.

My primary usage is to get access to my land (7.5 acres in upper NY state). I also have a cottage in Quebec, right behind some hydro trails and can go for hours on end at either location in the woods. We have a network of trails in the area also, both winter and summer, so if I like it I could always get a pass for that.

My question is, how dumb is it to buy a 36 year old machine?
It seems you can still buy all the parts from Polaris (according to the seller).
If it looks clean and can be used immediately, am I asking for trouble?
I have looked at much newer machines (2005-ish) and some of them are in 10 times worse shape than this one.

Also, anything to look out for? Things to check?

Many thanks,
Adam
Montreal, Canada

Old 07-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

You probably can't get parts at a dealership with a quad that old. eBay and other sites often are good sources. If the quad was kept up well and used every so often it might work out. Hard to tell. Test drive is a must. If it doesn't sound or feel right to you, avoid it. Better to save money up and get a better machine a little later.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

#1 red flag, you can't buy all the parts from a Polaris dealer. Trust me, I had a 1996 Sportsman 400 a few years ago. It was quite a struggle to find parts. Many, I found on eBay, but often the parts from eBay were worn out. It's not like buying a 1960's or 70's muscle car with all kinds of reproduction parts available. iF you like to work on old stuff, you might have fun. I would look for something newer. Ok, if the trailer is a really good deal, and worst case, you may be able to part out the bike if it ends up being a money pit. Moose hit it on the nail.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello from Colorado: I'm new to the ATV hobby too. The Polaris Trailboss you are looking at must be one the very early Polaris machines. I imagine it is a two stroke engine, but don't know for sure. Likely two wheel drive with a sprocket and chain. I might suggest it won't boss the trails. I would think you are a good mechanic to take on a vintage ATV like that one. If kept in good shape, it would likely hold its value.

There was a Trail Blaze for sale close to me last spring. I gave it passing thought.

David

Old 07-29-2017, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the feedback.

It is indeed a 2-stroke, and it is a 4x4. I am not finding much information about it on the internet, almost wondering if he has the year wrong. Since a picture is worth 1000 words...

Newbie Looking for first ride-autdtv2.jpg

Newbie Looking for first ride-lixmxhi.jpg

The guy is asking $1200 (CAD). I'd assume he'd let it go for $1000. The trailer looks to be in really good shape, as does the quad.

I think I will look for something newer. I do like to work on old machines... I restored a 1958 Belarus Tractor last summer (without a grain of knowledge prior to buying it one day and surprising my wife - and myself a little). But if parts are hard to come by, it doesn't matter how good a mechanic you are.

The search continues... (haven't completely given up on it, will still go try it out for reference).

Old 07-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Spying a 2005 John Deere Buck 500 automatic now... what a drastic difference, almost triple my original budget but I'd rather have something I can take care of and keep for many years to come rather than buy something so old it can't be repaired. He's asking $2800 but with the trailer... fingers crossed.

Not much on John Deere out there ATV wise... good purchase or avoid like the plague?

Old 07-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Back Country Explorer

Deere didn't make a quad ATV that I am aware of. Deere did have a subcontractor make one for them with the Deere name on it. Somehow I'm thinking it might have been Can Am.

You are wise to stretch the budget and find something you can enjoy for a long time. That said, there ain't an ATV made that doesn't, or won't have some type of mechanical problem. They are rather "light duty" machines compared to a compact tractor or skid steer machine.

Let's pose a question to the Forum participants and find out who was making Deere ATVs. I'll give it a try and let you know what I find out here on this thread.

David

Old 07-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Back Country Explorer

Well I guessed right. Can Am did make the quad ATV for Deere. It was the Can Am Quest, both in 500 and 650 cc sizes.

Here is an old thread on the subject.

https://atvconnection.com/forums/can...est-650-a.html

Inquiring minds want to know.

David

Old 07-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the link... left the guy 3 messages until her finally got back to me asking me to stop calling him, that the quad was sold. "All you have to do is delete the ad buddy, what's the problem? He hangs up on me... ". I feel like telling all my friends to leave him messages now.

Surprising how many of these I call and they are sold. We use kijiji.ca around here a lot. Maybe people are just computer illiterate... that or just can't be bothered removing the ad?

I guess I'll wait to find something else. At least I am learning a bit about each brand with every search.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That happens a lot on Craigslist too. If I sold something, I would delete the ad right away. Last thing I would want is somebody calling me and bugging me about something I don't even have anymore. It becomes a waste of both parties time then. Those old 2 strokes are unpredictable as well. I had an older Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4 and it was fun for about 3 months until the engine came apart. It had been recently rebuilt but wasn't done well and a rod broke and went through the case. The older 4 strokes are more reliable. Yamaha Kodiak 450, Polaris Sportsman 500 and the Arctic Cat 400 and 500cc utility models were all good machines. The Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4 was a bit sportier than these but they are getting harder to find.