Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Another new guy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new guy!

Yup another one joins, I guess I'll start with I've always been into atvs but it started with atcs. First ride was a orange honda atc 110 and I couldn't even tell you the year it was because I was about 5.

Then came a 200m that was a freebie and for good reason. The tank had a pinhole in it with a jb weld patch over it that didn't do it's job and when you rode the trails you never had to worry about mosquitoes there was so much smoke. Did I mention it was found floating in a creek after a flood in the sotherntier of NY.

So I sold that (for cheap) and bought a non running atc 125m (I know I went backwards) and this little machine had spark but no gas. Of course we were in the dead of winter here in western NY and all I had was one of those tiny arrow aluminum sheds for a shop. So outside in 1.5 feet of snow I dug out a spot to work and ripped the carb out, tore that thing apart and cleaned it till there wasnt even a varnish stains left. Just a tip though 20 degree weather and carb cleaner is not good on your hands they hurt for a good couple hours after. But that being said it was all worth it because after I got it all back together she fired right up and with it dialed in away I went romping around through the snow. It was a blast! But all good things must come to a end, due to some hard times I had to sell her off to stay afloat.

Fast forward 4 years which was around april of this year, I sort of had a 05 raptor 350 fall into my lap. It didn't run and needed electrical work. Basically the kill switch wire was shorting to ground not allowing the cdi to fire. After about 2 hours of shooting wires and a repair she was running!!! I have a few acres and some nice wet spots outback so needless to say I made some mud bogs in the back field and I can't touch the thing with out ripping it through there.

Along with that my old man's atc 200es stopped moving and he said if I fix it I could keep it so that is one of my works in progress at the moment so you might see me popping up with some transmission questions on here

Another work in progress is a 00 big bear 400 that I bought from my uncle for a steal (500 shhh don't tell nobody) but yet more electrical issues. This one was tough, no spark pickup was a little out of spec so I bought a new stator pickup combo and installed it but no such luck. I skipped past the wire harness because I figured even if it didn't fix it I would have a new setup in there and I wouldnt have to worry about it for a while plus it wasn't that expensive. After the let down of that I shot the harness and checked all of the i/o lines to the cdi and it all rings good. So needless to say a new cdi is on its way as we speak so I will keep you updated on the progress.

Outside of atvs I work on helicopter avionics for a living and been in the electrical game down to component level for almost 10 years so if anyone has a questions about anything shoot.

I also have a 74 harley flh shovel that keeps me busy as well.

Well that's my story and I know it's becoming a novel but there it is. Do with it what you will and I look forward to communicating with you all on this site in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Another new guy!-20170708_183243.jpg  
Old 07-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good introduction. You've been through a lot with this ATV hobby thing. Being an aircraft technician gives you two legs up over me. I do enjoy working on my ATV, but don't have the experience like many have. I have to take mine apart just to change the oil and grease it. Not real handy.

I'm glad you joined these forums. As you know, these forums are chock full of "problem threads" such as won't start, no spark, no reverse, and the like. Grab a thread and see if you can help the original poster diagnose the problem. I bet you might enjoy it, and it sure would be helpful to others.

There is a famous participant called "old polaris tech" that does a great job helping others out. I'm sure he would appreciate a little help now and then. Keep in mind it is not polite to point and giggle at folks with serious disfigurements. The poor guy was born with a nose from hell.

David

Old 07-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Connection!