Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New member with new used quad

Old 10-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New member with new used quad

Hey There, I just joined ATV Connection in hopes that it can provided some assistance to learning more about my newly acquired 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. (High Output). Upon buying it form the previous owner we negotiated a sell price of $3200 (down from $3600). It showed signs of wear but heck, seemed like a very reasonable price after checking the blue book value @ $4200! My bank loaned me the money no problem. I asked the seller if I could buy it with the contingency of it checking out at the mechanic first. He said ok, I will do that for you. So a few days later he shows me the receipt and a list of repairs. Nothing major except it has trouble shifting gears when running. Unfortunately, my better judgement failed me and I bought it. I dropped it off at the local Yamaha power sports to get a full service done and a snow plow installed. Then get a call from them a couple days later saying it needs a whole new clutch. With other repairs the repair cost will be $2750. !! So it's going on my credit card and now have over $6K into this (not including interest.). My first ATV but not first motorcycle that I've bought. Oh well live and learn. I live 10 miles outside of Glacier Nat. Park and there is a Nat. recognized track only 1 mile from my house. I live surrounded by public lands. At least it should get plenty of use. Looking forward to connecting with others here and out on the trails. Cheers, Jon in Montana

Old 10-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums!

Old 10-19-2017, 05:35 PM
Country Rider

Hey, welcome.

That happens a lot. there are always people out there who will rip you off. My first quad cost 2,000, then I spent another 1500 fixing it. But the guy I bought it from never told me it was broken.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

right on. I hear ya. glad I do not do that to people any more. hey, why did you say you don't ride a quad with a high end if you do trail riding. a strong low end is advisable then?? isn't a low end what you want for a work machine? high end for tracks / trails?

Old 10-22-2017, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation

Hello I just joined I bought a 1984 i think Honda 200 m and it pecking oil from the front sprocket how do I get to it to replace the seal

Old 10-22-2017, 07:25 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by codysmith
Hello I just joined I bought a 1984 i think Honda 200 m and it pecking oil from the front sprocket how do I get to it to replace the seal
Hello CodySmith, Welcome to the forums. Try posting your question in the honda section. You're not very likely to get an answer to your question in someone else's introduction post.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello 12xplor: A used ATV is always a crap shoot. The machines are used and abused. Many of us have been stuck with big repair bills. The more you do yourself, the cheaper ownership will be. I try to keep mine well maintained. I have had it out on the trails here in Colorado where it gets stoned to death underneath. And it bounces off of big rocks and wash outs. So far, my machine has taken the abuse. You will read here on the Forums about folks who take their brand new machines into a mud hole or river crossing and upset them because you really can't see where you're going. The engine swallows muddy water, not good. Now that "low hour" machine is for sale on Craigs List.

These Forums were very valuable to me when I was "shopping" for a quad.

David

Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ok

right on, I hear ya Dave. I realized I was taking a risk when I bought it. It isn't a purchase that will sink me but it is a set back for sure. If I had it to do over I'd certainly buy new. Primarily because here in MT. they hold their value so darn well. Plus I know how to take care of equipment having grown up on a wheat ranch in e. OR.. (not everybody does). Funny that when you buy new your worried about every little scratch and that is a pain in the neck...When I bought my new 2015 Toyota Prius from the dealership I drove it up to Canada and took it through the car wash on a -20 deg. day. Also rookie maneuver that I thought I was way past, lol. Well, 2 weeks into my new car the paint had deep swirl marks in the clear coat. *No disclaimer on the car wash tix.* I only use the wash by hand station now and never a problem, after spending $1500 to try and buff out the scratches which are a little better. I use my Prius like an SUV and love it. It takes a beating now because I use it for everything, including hauling the quad. No problem because I am getting my money out of it. In my book, if you use something nearly everyday, it is worth getting the best or exactly what you want. Otherwise it's worth reconsidering the amount your spending on a luxury that isn't really working for you.

Search this Thread