Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New Guy from AL

Old 12-06-2017, 06:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy from AL

Just moved from PA to AL and want to get a vehicle.

Looking for two up, fun, utility, power.

Been looking at Can Am

Never owned any ATV.

I do ride motorcycles.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for your service!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome aboard, have you given any thought to a side x side? So much more versatile than an ATV. We made the switch 2 yrs ago and never been happier..

Old 12-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

I can tell you from years of riding a 2-up quad that they are a great combination of fun and utility. I've had a 2006 Sportsman X2 500, a 2012 Can-Am Outlander Max 650 XTP, and my present Can-Am Outlander Max Limited 1000r. I've plowed with the two Can-Ams, and hauled firewood either in a wood box I've made to fit on racks or in a trailer towed behind the quad. None of them let me down. I sold the Polaris because I found it lacked "fun" power especially in winter riding where other with 700-800 cc machines were leaving me behind. The 650 was a good replacement and was a blast to ride too. The 1000 I have has been up to VT so far to harvest some firewood. It did great pulling a 4x4x3' deep trailer full of wet hardwood. I've also used it with a wood box on the back rack to move seasoned firewood up on the deck. Again, it's done well. I did finally get out on a ride a few weeks back and the power of the 1000 is addictive. After the ride I put heavy duty springs on the front because it was really plowing going downhill. I'm a large person and wasn't surprised about needing heavier shocks. One of the big reasons I bought the XTP and the Limited I own now is the rear adjustable air shocks. When you are going to have a passenger, you don't have to find your spanner wrench to adjust the shocks. Just push a button and it will lift or lower the rear suspension as needed. I wish every maker had this option. I use it a lot with moving firewood around. If I fill up the box on the rear rack its probably up around 200 lbs. all together. So, yes, they are great for utility purposes and fun too.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Can Am Outlander Max Ltd also. I was advised I needed the larger engine for the high altitude trailing riding we do here in Colorado. But truth be known, I've never used the "performance" key. I use the "normal" key as I think of myself as rather normal. The two up machine is well worth the cost. It offers steep grade stability and the ability to carry a passenger safely.

I've suggested before in these Forums that the 90 horse machines are much more power than the chassis can handle, and that the average rider can handle. I know of no chassis or drivetrain changes for the higher horsepower Can Am. High horsepower sells at a profit, but I'm not sure of the benefit. The high horsepower machine will accelerate harder, and have a higher top speed. That's great in a sports car, but a lumbering, tippy ATV it isn't so great. My old 30 horse Kubota compact tractor will out work the 90 horse Can Am any day of the week, except in tight wooded conditions.

Riding a Colorado rocky, washed out mule path trail is bumpy as all get out. I average maybe 15 mph in low range, 4wd. A 650 Outlander Max would do the same. I plow snow with my machine, and so far the "tractive effort" to push the blade full of snow has been good. But the engine isn't working that hard. Again, I plow in 4wd, low range at about 5 mph.

You might consider a "car" type utility vehicle, especially the Polaris ACE single seater. They are wider and much more stable than the high CG "bike" type quad ATV. Some of the UTVs 2 seaters are a narrow 50" wide but have a lower CG and a much longer wheelbase.

David

Old 12-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee Moose, I didn't know you had a Can Am Outlander Max Ltd. I haven't been paying attention. Very good choice in my opinion. I've certainly enjoyed mine and I haven't flipped mine over yet, but I've tried to once. It reared up like a horse on its hind legs once when I tried to climb a big rock. Mistake.

Ride safe as you always do.

David