ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://atvconnection.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New quad (https://atvconnection.com/forums/introduce-yourself/376162-new-quad.html)

Potatoaim 06-13-2018 11:39 PM

New quad

I am 13 years old am pretty tall and weigh about 159 lbs, getting a new quad. I was looking at 350’s and 400’s. Most were manual and was wondering if it’s a good choice?? I have previously rode a 125 and have severely outgrown it(frame broke and engine mount broken) was wondering if 400 cc would be good??

MooseHenden 06-14-2018 09:39 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Are you looking at sport or utility quads? Most anyone can learn how to shift a standard. It can get old though in tricky terrain. What kind of trails do you anticipate riding? Muddy, rocky, roots, snow, sand, water holes.... If you're going to deal with mud, snow, slow technical terrain, etc. get a utility machine with 4wd if you can get one in your price range. What do your parents say about it?

scootergptx 06-14-2018 11:23 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Potatoaim 06-14-2018 03:03 PM

New quad

I was looking at sport quads, I will be riding in my backyard which is a little bumpy. I can’t really drive in the winter as it snows too much here in Ontario, Canada

Potatoaim 06-14-2018 03:07 PM

My parents think it’s fine just that I should get some Chinese brand new atv. The 125 I had before was Chinese and didn’t last very long (engine blew, chain broke, chain tensioner broke, axle carrier broke, both rear rims kept braking etc..) a 250cc Chinese cost about 2000$ but a used 400 I saw was only 2300$ with some upgrades

scootergptx 06-14-2018 03:11 PM

A used Honda 400ex would be a great quad. Should be inexpensive and very dependable. Way better than any Chinese quad you could get.

MooseHenden 06-14-2018 03:16 PM

Avoid the Chinese like the plague. Look around for a Honda 250ex or Recon. Very reliable and a lot of fun. I think Honda also had a 300ex and know they had a 400ex. Friend of mine had one and it was amazing where he could get that thing. A used Honda will cost less than a new Chinese both at purchase time and over the life of the quad. Buddy of mine had a son who bought a Honda Recon new when he was young. He rode it, I rode it (all 280 lbs. of me at the time), his younger brothers, my son, other friends, etc. It was thoroughly ridden hard and can still be ridden today after a good 20 years of abuse. 250ex is like the Recon except it has a chain driven solid rear axle rather than a rear differential.

Potatoaim 06-14-2018 03:29 PM

Ok thanks ill be sure to tell you what I get when I get it!

hydrex 06-14-2018 04:18 PM

Arctic Cat also made manual shift 400's. I just sold one, it was very dependable and topped out just under 60 mph. 2002 with full independent suspension. Hondas are excellent too, stay away from the Chinese stuff.

Kymco 450i 06-14-2018 08:08 PM

The 400 ex would be a good choice, however keep in mind you will be doing a lot of shifting to keep in the power band. If your more interested in just riding or you have friends and family that cannot handle a shift transmission then give serious consideration to the cvt tranny. The are pretty bulletproof except for an occasional belt replacement, but most will last around 2000 miles and a belt is much cheaper than a transmission rebuild if you or some else messes up a shift and breaks your manual transmission. Both have there pros and cons, consider carefully, make sure it is money well spent!