ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kawasaki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/)
-   -   Hard wiring GPS to 650? May have fried it! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/102183-hard-wiring-gps-650-may-have-fried.html)

Lightman 06-01-2003 10:17 AM

Hard wiring GPS to 650? May have fried it!

Has anyone tried hardwiring their gps to their 650? I am a bit worried I killed my GPS. Actually, I'm pretty sure I killed my gps and wonder why. I'd been having problems with the cigarette lighter power outlet losing contact with the ac adapter, and being fairly intermittant. I decided it would be pretty easy to cut the cig lighter adapter off the wire, split the red/black wires, and wire it directly to the battery. We put a 3amp fuse in line with the red wire to the battery, and the black we just wired directly. As soon as I plugged it in and tried to turn on the gps, my screen went scrambled in a series of black lines, and now it refuses to turn on whatsoever on its own with batteries etc.

Is the battery too much power for the gps? I figured that both the battery and power outlet were 12volt sources....?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Please help! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Win3855 06-01-2003 10:27 AM

Some Garmin GPS have a transformer in the cig adapter. I know my Garmin GPS 12 had it that way. It only ran on 6 or 8 volts. My Three+ and StreetPilot will handle up to 32 volts. Not sure what your GPS is voltage wise. Hope it works out well for you. If it is a Garmin they have a very good repair facility. Quick turnaround time.

Lightman 06-01-2003 10:30 AM

Thanks, I was a little worried about that, the possibility of a transformer in the cig lighter adapter. GRRR[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] As per my signature, its a Garmin Etrex Vista. I guess I'll be sending it back.

Lightman 06-01-2003 10:38 AM

Well, in reading the owners manual, it states that the AC adapter converts 12Vdc to 3Vdc input to the vista. I'm assuming in layman's terms that means that it transforms 12 volts down to 3? Damn! I've obviously over driven and fried something.

I'd still love to hard wire it, does anyone know of a way to install a transformer in line to drop to 3v?

ppags 06-01-2003 01:07 PM

Radio Shack offers a transformer that lets you select voltages as low as 1.5 all the way thru 12. It is a little bulky but you should be able to hide it by the air filter. There are a few different models, just let them know what you are using it for so they get the right one for your amperage draw.

Lightman 06-01-2003 05:16 PM

Thanks Pete. Approximately how large is it, and do you think it can handle the water/heat the quad puts out? I'd really love to have the gps hardwired so I don't have to worry about the cig lighter adapter popping out or have to use batteries. Sounds like that may be the way to go if it will fit and can be waterproofed! Thanks again.

Kawi650 06-01-2003 05:46 PM

Mine 3plus runs on 12volt but what I would do is use the one that you buy for the GPS and then tear it appart and spend time with a sod gun and hook up a fuse as well.

robh 06-01-2003 09:10 PM

I wired a different plug on my 650. I got tired of the plug shutting off with the key and shutting down the gps. I bought a marine style plug socket and with the matting plug they lock together...no more prob...Rob

hotdog 06-01-2003 09:17 PM

I guess if your GPS uses two double A batteries at 1.5 volts each ..that would be 3 volts...

Kawi650 06-01-2003 09:24 PM

Hotdog: what part of nova scotia are you from?