Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Modulator Test Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modulator Test Comparisons

I have tested 4 different modulators so far and this is my results.

1) Freedom Cycle,
The first out does work well but the frequency is eratic not a definate frequency hold pattern. It performs well then falls off after 35 mph and will loose on the top end sligtly around the 3-5 mph. Take off is very good will put the front over if not careful in low range may even do so in high range with a light rider.

2) Diamong G Holeshot,
Next to the first it has a built in switch that shuts off after 35-40 mph resorting to OEM cdi perameters. It doesn't loose any of the top end and has a solid bottom end grunt in both low and high range. The frequency is strong with a square wave format easier read by the cdi better all round manufacturing. Both are set for 26 degrees and can be used with regular gas a good unit for the 650 and 700.

3) Red650,
This one and the next I like the most. Slightly higher frequency pushes the cdi to 28 degrees it works very well with lots bottom end torque good perfromance. Does not loose on the top end keeps the power band at maximum through to the rev limiter a premium device.

4) Nabor Kawasaki
Higher frequency again utilizes the upper band of advance produced by the cdi to give best pulling power on the bottom, mid, and higher ranges. The power is right there whether you are in low or mid range it also pulls hard in the high range right up to rev limiter. Normally there is drop off power soon as the quad hits 6200 because of timeing retard but not so with this modulator it pulls hard to the rev limiter. I have also tried a 2 step modulator that increases the timeing from 26 degrees to 28 degrees after 25 mph. This is helpful especially if you have munchkins that want to ride your machine and you don't have to put in a switch to deactivate it for safety. A 6-degree key along with the 2-step modulator would be a great drag takeoff tool. The person to talk to is Ted at naberkawasaki@sasktel.net

Hope this helps everyone with decisions on modulators for their P650 or P700.

Old 08-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Good report!

chauk up a win today with the Freedom cycle, My son out pulled 2-686 grizzs, a 727 grizz and a 760 grizz, along with modded kawa's, and boms, in the free for all. Only class that gave money, rest were trophy's.

Sorry guys!

Old 08-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Good report. I had a call last week from a guy that compared the original (first out) modulator to the red650 unit; he was able to make runs on a timing light equipped drag strip at Dalton Industries. The red650 module did pull consistently stronger at higher speeds than the other module. They popped in Dalton's new blue primary spring after testing the two modules and made even more acceleration gains.

Old 08-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

OK, this is huge!!! When did Nabor make this? I'm going to be talking to them Tuesday and getting one shipped to me. I don't believe this....thanks alltoys.

You say it pulls through the entire power band, the nabor one, what performance increase will there be over this modulator with the ignition you are working on?

Thanks again alltoys, your a great guy.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

The modulator is still the faster and less expensive way to go to get peak performance with what little the cdi has to offer. There is no way possible to get any more timeing from the cdi unless a key is installed and the key is not a stead fast cure. There is a definate possibility the key will split or shatter leaving a mess to clean up. There is no way I can run a key with Nos or the blower it shatters almost instantly. I am very close to solving the ignition problem which will eliminate the cdi and the modulator. I have to mention an ignition is rather expensive and will probably be only for the racing enthusiast. For plug and play the best solution is the modulator it manipulates the cdi to put out what it already has just a little sooner. The Modulator whether it is used for pulling or just full out throttle has the best power band with full advance hit at or near 2500 rpm. Optimum racing systems actually retard slightly at 90% rpm threshold but only a meer 10 degrees off a total of 35-40 degrees final advance. Ours retards 18 degrees from 6200 - 7700 rpm what kind of injustice is that. The modulators from Nabor and RED will hold full timeing to rev limiter at 7700 rpm where there is no drop off till you hit the limiter wall.

With the cdi and a modulator it is still lagging by 30%, you have seen what a modulator can do to the bottom and mid imagine another 30% greater acceleration with different ignition. This is for next year but imagine an EFI system with a new ignition. AC is working on 500cc quad with EFI beleive me it will be down tuned as well. I can bet that full race set up 500 AC with ignition and EFI would walk all over a stock P700 or at least produce a very sound equal.

There is new stuff coming it is in the works but not for a few years from what I have heard from different manufacturers. Myself I am not going wait by next year look for a new and improved P650 MUDDMACHINE with programble ignition and programable EFI !!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like the modulator is going to work great for me on my P650 and an ignition for my V-Force.

Have you picked up the V-Force yet? How do you like it? Are things going well with it? Have a good day alltoys.

Old 08-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

anyone have comments on the Kunytec module?????

Old 08-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

ALLTOYS I think after reading your post you like the red module the best. Do you have a websight or phone number to order one.

Thanks

Old 08-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Alltoys,
Thanks for the great report! I just e-mailed Ted to check out his modulator instead of the DG.

Shotgun,
Congrats to your son for the win! He jumped right back on that horse! THAT A BOY!

NovaKaw650,
That blue spring you speak of, is it the same as the pink one from EPI? Thanks

Old 08-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I like both Reds and Nabors modulator as they work very well they both have a strong square wave so the cdi doesn't get false readings. I have the Vforce as we speak preliminary runs are very favorable how does 95 mph sound with more to come.

Quick Reply: Modulator Test Comparisons