Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

To warranty or not to on 650 belt noise??? Nyroc??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To warranty or not to on 650 belt noise??? Nyroc??

Just got back from a 2 day ride at Hatfield/mcCoy.At about 500 miles now and I am getting a chirp on take off once in a while and a squeal when backing up.....especially up a hill.My concern is the bike is still just in warranty.If I take it back and they actually know what they are doing........lets say tighten the belt by removing a shim what happens down the road when the belt needs replaced and I don't have the shim??? With a new belt do you start from the beginning?The performance is still there.........I raced another 650 and was actually a little faster and we both have stock size tires.I am dissapointed this is happening so soon.I do ride in low range and use stock size tires[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img].I have a feeling the dealer has not dealt with this before.I talked to one of the techs when I was there last and when I mentioned I had heard of a choke spring issue and the belt the said they had not heard of either.We even looked in the book for the spring and there was not anything in it.Since the belt is squealing now is it done?...
Any thoughts would be nice...thanks
02 650 camo

Old 09-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

What you are experiencing is normal. Actually, the first adjustment seems to come sooner than 500 miles. For two of my machines it was within 200 miles.

While a little bark doesn't hurt it annoys me to hear it. So, I just adjust the belt a little tighter to quiet it up.

If you take it in, rather than doing it yourself, then just ask the dealer for the shims they removed.

You are aware of Nyroc, so, you must have seen his site and instructions. Otherwise, a search here should reveal all you need to know. A manual is a good idea if you plan on doing your own work also.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I am familiar with his site....as a matter of fact I am printing the procedure now to remove a shim.I just have so little confidence in the dealer doing repairs.Not really from past experience but from others experience.I can do it myself but thought why not get it done on their dime.Just being lazy I suppose[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]From what you said Dirty white boy since I got 500 miles I MUST be doing something right LOL.
02 650 camo

Old 09-29-2003, 07:42 AM
Range Rover

Kodiak,
Just to echo what DWB said..it's completely normal. I have 80 hrs and a little over 1800 kms on my '03, and since just yesterday i've got all shims removed. Deflection was @ approx 27mm, and shimless it's 21-22mm. Take the time to read through Nyrocs page ( great info btw ) and get used to doing it yourself. It's a very simple procedure, with the right tools, and you'll have a better understanding as to what you're "sitting" on the next time you're out on the trail.

Jeff

Old 09-29-2003, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

From what I have been hearing over the last few months, the dealers DO NOT know how to adjust/maintain belts. You are much better off doing it yourself. It is not bad, once you've done it. NYROC's site is VERY VERY helpful. You should buy the 4 shims avaible for the KAW. They are only $5.00 apiece. THAT way you'll have the correct shim when you tear down for ajustment. Buy some CV joint grease(moly-disulphide)to service the helix and "buttons", while you are in there adjusting the belt. The 1st time will take you 1-2 hours. You will get so that you can do adjustment in 40 min., or so.
kodiak1---where did you ride at H/M. I just rode that new Miller's Creek Loop. THAT kicks @$$!!!!!! Got pix?

Old 09-29-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Hey trx450,what 4 sizes do the 4 shims come in?or do they come in only 2?I have made the
decision to do it myself.You know it's just too bad you cannot trust the dealer to work on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]I just hope the belt is ok.I have a feeling it is.
We rode Rockhouse and Buffalo Mnt.This was actually our 4th trip there.I guess we are creatures of habit.Thats what we ride every time.I heard Bear Wallow was pretty flat with alot of green trails.Rockhouse has the best in my opinion.We did 93 and 94 there and it was pretty hairy.The 650 climbs like a cat though.The Raptor boys with us passed on them LOL.We usually stay in Man and like it there.Have you ever rode Rockhouse?
While I was there I had a guy on a new manual shift Vinson wanting to drag race me.He was pretty ate up with it.I ran him 4 times and you know the outcome.I even left my big box on with everthing in it,He took everything off.I will say for a 500 it ran good.
02650 camo

Old 09-29-2003, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

IF you think the trail part of Miller's Creek kicks *** go down Dan's Branch if they have not included it. You can ride Miller's Creek forever. Used to be our favorite stomping grounds. Have not been there in months so do not know what has been taken by the trail system and what has not. You can ride from Miller's Creek to the ends of the earth take my word for it we started in Miller's Creek and did 600 miles before we parked at home. 7 days and not a trial taken twice. Seen lots of Kentucky and Western West Virginia from the woods however.

Old 09-30-2003, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider

Dustin-- I may have been in that area about a year ago on a little "tour", lead by a local.
kodiac1-- the 4 shims come in the following thickness: .6MM/.8MM/1.0MM/1.4MM. Go to www.buykawasaki.com to find part #'s. If you have problems finding the #'s, look in the P-650 Service manual, 3 are in there. The 4th one is for the 360, but works in the v-Twin motors.

Old 09-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

When you coming back trx? Maybe this year we will get to ride together hehe....

Old 09-30-2003, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

I think maybe I will wait and see what shims mine has before ordering any.As far as the (local) trails there,we had offers to ride them but just did not have time.This is something we are going to do sometime though.
02650 camo