Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Duals or 2 into 1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 10:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duals or 2 into 1?

I've been hunting for a set of duals for my V-Force, comparing tones and horsepower changes and weighing my options... Last trip into my lacal dealers and a salesman/BMW mechanic I know tells me I'll actually lose ponies with dual exhaust because of the difference in pipe length. He recommends a Muzzy 2 into 1 exhaust. Don't the jets accomodate(sp) for pipe length? Is this something I need to worry about seriously?

Old 10-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

The 2 into 1 doesn't have equal length pipes either ????? The dyno says more horse power with duals than a 2 into 1.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Range Rover

True, but they join in 1 chamber. Where can I check out this dyno info, if possible?
And can anybody hook me up with wavs, or links to them? I've heard the Aliens and the HMF's (my favorites so far) somewhere on here, but I know Yosh makes 1 and Muzzy... just trying to explore my options.

Old 10-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Goto my website, look in the bottom of the left hand side menu and click on Kawasaki Pipe Sounds. The link is at the bottom of my signature. I will have more up later. I have the MBRPs on my V700 and it does not have less power, thats forsure.

Old 10-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

Alien's sound great!
I would be willing to test a set of alien's for some one for an extended period of time of my choosing please email me for shipping address [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] or send cash or money order of approx 579.99 (think I could pick up the shipping and handling charge for you).

Old 10-14-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing looks better than DUALS,when you are showing them to your Raptor buddy's in a race! LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with Vforscer. Duals or 2 into 1, if the pipe lengths are not the same they will never produce the maximum horsepower. A single or Dual muffler have very little to do with how much power the exhaust makes. I have not seen anyone out there making a proper exhaust for the V. They are all going about this the wrong way. To make a proper exhaust you need to get the header pipes to be the same length. The pipe length have a major effect on where the motor produces HP and how much. The shorter the pipe, the more power it produces at higher RPM and the longer the pipes, the more power it produces at lower RPM. If it is to short of to long the exhaust is not helping the motor flow the exhaust gases properly. To get the right length you need to do some math and dyno testing to get it right.

Another thing. No one seems to have tried to make a header with the pipes form the two exhausts crossing each other like an "X". You have a twin motor here and two separate exhaust flows. With the "X" flowed pipes you can have the exhaust gasses from one piston, suck the exhaust gases form the other piston by creating a vacuum in other pipe that is not flowing.

All the pipes you buy now still uses the unequal length pipes and that will never be the best option, no matter what mufflers you put on. Get someone that knows how "acoustic exhaust tuning" works and let them built you a pipe. No one will catch you.

PS. A dual exhaust ways more than a single. So if you are looking for the fastest bike, weight might be a consideration.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Freez,I think it would be nice to have a Bassani style x-pipe.They add a lot of power in the mid,the equal length headers are going to be harder to do.One pipe now is around 3feet the other is around 1 and half foot,I think all the bends that you would have to put on the rear header to get the extra length would cause more back pressure than needed. The 2 into 1,X-pipe,cross or H-pipe,were the pipes intersect causes better scavaging to reduce the pressure of the cylinder heads.I feel like I am talking in a MUSTANG forum.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

I might be wrong, but doesn't the yoshi system have a cross over pipe to create the scavenging effect?

Old 10-14-2003, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

I will have a look at how the pipes run and the bike. Instead of running it the same as the stock pipe, the might run it forward first, and then back, keeping the bends very smooth. Then another way is maybe to reroute the pipes so they both join close to the heads and only have a single large pipe running to the back, handling both exhausts. The Dual mufflers will fall away, but if the can get the pipe lengths right, then this bike could make much more power. Another thing most people never play with is the crappy intake systems the quads have (Most quads have this problem). You can do the exact same thing with the intake as what you do with the exhaust pipes. If they also played with the acoustic tuning on the intake, and get the exhaust and intakes to work together you’ll have a monster quad. A stock motor with these mods will outrun a highly modified motor easy.

If only we can get someone to make it happen and look further than just a quick new exhaust. Quads are so easy to work on, yet no one seems to take it as searious as the "mustang" guys. You can learn a lot from them. People allways jump for a new cam or higher compression / bigger piston. Exhausts and intakes can give them much much more power than a cam and new piston, plus you don't have to open the motor.

Quick Reply: Duals or 2 into 1?