Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

10,000 RPM Vforce?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 03:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10,000 RPM Vforce?

Originally posted by: nyroc
Well, no, they have to send a signal to two coils (at different times) on the v-twin in order to keep it running after the CDI cuts out. Has to be different from a 1 cyl module.

This isn't a CDI, it doesn't change timing. Somehow it keeps signalling the coils even when the CDI stops (electronic stuff I'm sure).

Maybe it isn't a misprint and it is the real thing. I was hoping that someone would tell us that this really truly exists for the V and it isn't a misprint.

A magazine misprinted a CDI offering for the V-force, and when I emailed the manufacturer (vortech) they said "nope, we don't offer it". I realize a rag is a lot less reliable than the manufacturer's website. But, still, things get misprinted all the time.

Ever hear of what they call a dead spark?
Alot of inline four cylinder bikes use the same pickup coils and CDI to fire two different cylinders, both coils fire at the same time.

One cylinder is at TDC compression stroke, (power stroke)-the fuel mix is being fired or burnt.

The other cylinder is at TDC, (overlap)-meaning both valves are still slightly open, the cylinder is still emptying the spent or burnt air fuel mixture out the slightly open exhaust valve, while at the same time new air fuel mix is being drawn into the cylinder, so there is nothing in the cylinder yet to burn-Hence dead or wasted spark.

Yes they are CDI's

And all of them are basically the same....CDI boxes or (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)...Kawasaki refers to them as Ignitors.Honda likes to call them CDI. Depending on what the manufacturer has determined the max rpm should be for a particular engine, the CDI box is designed to limit Rpm in one of two ways, one is to drop spark to the coils at their set RPM or to slightly start to retard the timing so the engine will not be able to achieve a higher RPM so no engine damage will occur, and MOST of the time NOT ALWAYS power actually drops off at the higher RPM's anyway! The CDI also controls the ignition curve, which is at what rpm to start and how far to advance the ignition timing.

The aftermarket "boxes" are CDI's with different parameters....Higher rev limits and different ignition curves.

Old 10-17-2003, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

How do you know that is a real CDI?

If it were a real CDI, they should have run the Vforce on a dyno, altered the stock timing and then claimed they added horsepower.

Also, if it were a real CDI, why does it have to be plugged inline with the stock CDI?

Doesn't sound like a CDI to me.

They told one guy that all they do is continue the stock timing after the redline, that can be done with simpler circuitry than a CDI contains.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

The 10K box does change timing,timing curve,and rev limiter.Will sell for around $250-$350 per Yoshimura R&D tech.Should let the V-Force run in the 85+++ range. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Vnasty, who told you that. I called the tech support line and was told that it runs the stock curve, but up to a higher limit, which sounds dumb to me. They also quoted me $179.00. Maybe this guy was looking up the 400 info? I hope you are right.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Praire633,The price and specs you got are for the Z400,the tech had to dig to give me most of the info.When he first said $175,I told him that cann't be right to cheap.The KFX-700 is not as simple as the other quads that are out.

Old 10-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I hope its true but there are a few problems with reaching 10k. One and the most important is the cam will not allow 10k rpm as it is not timed properly and the springs are not heavy enough. The best the machine can produce is 9200 with its present configuration. Yoshi will have to introduce a completly new cdi to move the rev limit. Timeing can be changed via a mapper this will add or subtract timeing as needed will it move the rev limiter, not a chance!!

It will have to be a new replacement for the V, also, if it will work on the V it will work on the Prairie with a little modifying!!!!