Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Belt engaging While in H -L stopped

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt engaging While in H -L stopped

On occasion by belt will stay engage while i'm stopped & it's in H or L or R.. Last time it happened my 4wd light started blinking & then went away.. I'm thinking my belt aculator might just be in the wrong position & I need to manualy run it to re-position it?? Or could it be something else??

Old 11-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Okay I messed around with it in my driveway a bit & I got it to do it again.. So while it was still engaged in Reverse, I disconected the Actulator wire & then turned it off & took the cover off.. the actulator looked to be in the correct postion, but the drive pulley had not retracted all the way, thus the reason the belt is still engaged while at a stop in R.. So is this a week primary spring maybe?? is it not pushing the primary all the way back out when stoped, something wrong with the spider, shoes?? Shoot I dont know, dont know much about the primary clutch.. Any help would be appreciated [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

Try taking the face plate off the clutch and clean the shaft and bushing.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Face plate is brand new, I just replaced it 2 weeks ago because of a bad bearing

Old 11-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

IMO...something must be binding, to keep the clutch from opening all the way... try fresh grease on the buttons is there a chance of sand or grit in any of the moving parts... you mentioned replacing the face plate...I assume it didn't do this before ??? perhaps you even got a bad face plate, if everything was reassembled & lubed correctly... could the belt deflection be too tight ???

Old 11-11-2003, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Buttons are on the secondary clutch right?? This is the primary clutch that is hanging up.. I thought about that face plate being the problem as well, but I recall it doing it twice before I put the new face plate on.. Also I took off the face plate & took out & put the primary spring back in & re-tigtened all lthe bolts & that didn't work.. Only thing I can figure now is there is a problem with either the spider or the shoes & I dont know how they work or even what they do.. The belt is not to tight, last time I adjusted it was last fall & I have put 1500 miles on since then.. I was looking in my service manual & there is a page indicating the procedue of adjusting the shoes, would this have any impact on it?? Thanks for the suggestions guys, any others out there??

Old 11-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

my 650 does this becuase i have the idle set to high (need to set it that high becuase it starts hard in the winter)

Old 11-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

After all day messing around with it, I have located the problem.. one of the weights is I assume bent & getting hung up on the spider roller, thus not allowing it to come all the way back.. I tried to remove the weight & replace it but I cant figure out how to get it out unless I take off the spider, & that looks like a hell of a job [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] especially without the right tools.. Is it possible to remove the weights without removing the spider??

Old 11-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

Just my two cents: I still suspect the EBC actutor or linkage. The clue is when you mentioned the light problem. Take a close look at the EBC linkage inside the clutch cover, clean and re-grease. After that I would pull the three screws on the EBC actuator motor cover, remove it and clean the motor armature and brush area. Re-lube and re-assemble. If the motor does not return to the full off position, the belt will be come engaged. That is how the engine braking system works. Mine hung up very similarly after I got the motor dirty when I submerged it.

I may be all wet, but it is worth a try.

Quick Reply: Belt engaging While in H -L stopped