ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kawasaki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/)
-   -   700 Prairie equiped with Dyna CDI wins 6 Hours Of ATV America, Texas!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/140297-700-prairie-equiped-dyna-cdi-wins-6-hours-atv-america-texas.html)

Prairiewrench 02-25-2004 08:06 PM

700 Prairie equiped with Dyna CDI wins 6 Hours Of ATV America, Texas!!!

Hey guys,
Well we took the Prairie to Texas for the 6 Hours of ATV America. This race is the first of three this year. I spent all last week getting Oldmanwheelers quad ready for the race. It has HMF exhaust, OMF Beadlocks, Maxxis Radial Big Horns, lime green plastic, Elka's all the way around, Diamond G Racing snorkel, Tag bars, custom made front and rear bumpers by me, reinforced top strut mounts, and a few unmentionables! LOL!! You will notice the engine is stock! The biggest thing was that we got the opertunity to give one of them new DYNA CDI's a hard 6 hour workout! This CDI is a preproduction one that only advances to 31 degrees. The ones to be released are to run up to 33 degrees! This thing performed flawlessly and never missed a beat. We had a bone stock 03 650 with for parts and just for kicks we drag raced um. The 700 would launch and pull away to 3 quad lengths before we had to stop for a fence! Then just for kicks we put the CDI on the 650 and I hooked up the modual on the 700. This is where I was amazed, that 650 walked away from the 700 by an easy 2 to 3 quad lengths! That CDI is fregging awsum!
Now onto the race, we had a blast! The track was 5 miles around through open fields, twisty woods and some rather large MX jumps for a Prairie! I'd love to say our win was spectacular because we did get first in the Utility class but in this case it was no big deal,,, nobody but a Honda 250 recon showed up.
We then focussed in on an overall finish which meant we were going up against all them new 450 sport quads, some 250R's and some 400 ex's! There were 26 teams in all, 9 of which were PRO teams, they lined us all up and we were last in line,,,,, 26th place to start! They fired the gun, our rider Alex Gronbach ran across, started the quad and was in 8th place before the first turn. Talk about holeshot, I think the front end was in the air till the first turn also! On lap two somebody clipped him in the rear tire and he flipped smashing his shoulder between a tree and the quad! He still rode another lap and came in and we switched riders. Now we were back at the end of the pack but not for long, Randy Meyer and Jason Mickelson the other 2 riders made up time and space quickly! Then after a few pain pills Alex got back on and it looked like somebody lit a fire in his rear!!! The Pro's were running 11.11 minute to 12 minute laps,,, Alex turned a 12.54 lap and he kept most of his next 6 laps in that range! Then Randy got back on and was running in the 13 minute range, then to finish out the 6 hours Jason got back on and was turning low 13 minute laps.
Now that you have read this book I have to tell you, we finished 13th overall out of 26, we raced against all them Pros, A class, B class, and over 30 class,,, all of which were on SPORT quads and still finished 13th. I'm very proud of our riders and can't wait for the 6 hour race in Georgia !!!!

My 785 Prairie is now in Mickey Dunlaps hands for some serious R&D work and Tom Farr, (Tim Farr's brother), will be racing it in some of the GNCC races coming up! We are now up to 4 Prairies we are racing and one more is on the way! I have to say a big thanks to our sponsors, HMF, Mickey Dunlaps Four Stroke Tech, Dalton clutchs, Elka, Double M Signs, Racing Unlimited, Diamond G Racing, Image Sells, and for this race I have to really give a huge THANK YOU TO ALLTOYS!!!!!!!!! Our team name is now FD RACING!!!!!!

EasterEgg 02-25-2004 08:15 PM

Sounds like great pr for the cdi. Glad to hear you guys did so well.

zmann 02-25-2004 08:21 PM

Any idea when the CDi will be out for us to try?

MikeyBoyesq 02-25-2004 08:23 PM

PW,
Great write-up on the race and the new Dyna cdi. Congrads on a good finish!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Prairiewrench 02-25-2004 08:27 PM

I was a little nervous about trying it out in a race we wanted to win but now I'm glad we did,,, I can't even begin to tell you how amazed I was by the power all the way from take off till you let off! You could take off slow just as a stock one or you could sit on the airbox, mash it and try to keep the front down. We set the trip meter before the race and we ran a total of 129.5 miles in 6 hours with no mechanical troubles at all!

Prairiewrench 02-25-2004 08:29 PM

Bartlett, I wish you would have been there,,, that would have been a real race,,,, are you guys planning to hit any of the Iowa ATV Harescrambles?

bbertram 02-25-2004 08:36 PM

I was getting depressed on all the CDI talk going on the last few months with no hard evidence. You have renewed my faith in the CDI, thanks.

Sounds like you had alot of fun, can't wait to hear how she runs with the big bore and CDI installed, thats going to stomp any sport quad.

Prairiewrench 02-25-2004 08:42 PM

I was feeling the same way but believe me,,, keep the faith man,,, keep the faith!!!!! I was told they should be released possibley in late march early April! I will have my cash waiting for 5 of them!

zmann 02-25-2004 08:56 PM

me too. Who will I be able to buy them from?

LittleBoy 02-25-2004 09:27 PM

Congradulations!!! Go Prairie Power Go!!! Also can't wait to get the Cdi into my prairie!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]