Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

My drag race times......

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My drag race times......

Ran my first official drag at the Windrock jamboree today and done pretty well, I found out first hand reaction time if whether you win or lose on a short course......They "walked" off 150 ft so it was a little more or less then actual 150 ft.....I had my P700 with the dyna, clutch spring and 93 octane gas.......first race I beat a Piped and jetted Grizz, my time was 4.39.......second race was against a Polaris 700........I won with a time of 4.60. (got a bad holeshot) but still won, went to the semi finals against another P700 that was supposed to be stock, even had stock tires on it, loss to him but posted my best time of the day at 4.36........He jumped me a split second off the line and at the finish line I had caught him but he still beat me by about 1 foot, it was the closet race of the day......A guy on a Banshee was only turning in the 4.40's.......My first time I was happy.....I also saw a 650 Arctic Cat beat a Grizz by about a bike length.....and the guy that beat me raced a Polaris EFI 700 and won by about 1 1/2 lengths at the end of the 150 ft.........

Old 04-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

What tires did you have on?

Old 04-25-2004, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have Holeshot ATR's.......with the extra power of the CDI and clutch springs, I was spinning pretty good off the start even in 4x4 and with the radial tires for about 20-30 ft......that is the only reason the other Pra. beat me, he spun less off the line, I caught him at the finish line though, if I had another few feet I would have won, 150 ft is a really short track, I would like to try a regulation 300 ft dirt drag and see what the results would be.......

Old 04-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Cool... I wish someone would hold grass drags around here... Good to see that the Prairies were holding thier own... on a course that short, the reaction time makes a huge difference...

Old 04-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Yah that is really short, the race would be over in a few seconds. Grass drags would be fun. On pavement it would be best I think. Slap on some 20" holeshot tires on the front and rear of a Praire and it will fly. I would love to try 20" radials on my V-Force, they are way way lighter. I would love to see how it works.

Old 04-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

New Beatle, I know you have experience in these things and pulls and such, as I said this was my first time racing for real with a tree and could you tell me if running 4.36 and 4.39 on loose pack dirt on a utility quad is a good time???? Me and the other guy on the 700 posted the best times on all the class which had Pol. 700's, Grizz's, and a few Ac 650's as well as P650's, I didn't get to race in the sport class but we were comparing times with them and my 4.3's were better than a Banshee, a Predator, and a piped 400ex.........funny thing was that with the short distancem whoever got the best light won, the 400ex barely beat the Predator, and almost beat the banshee, the banshee was spinning the whole length of the track though...LOL

Old 04-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on your finish. 150' is way to short for any drag race. I agree 100%, 300' should be a minimum distance for drag racing. I guess the place had its liimits though.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

KOD, yes this was their first time also, the area need's to be extended, and the club pres said he was going to try and see about getting at least 200 ft...I don't hardly think it is big enough for 300 but it would be nice....I though about running the course in low, but I really would have spun then, I wish I had looked at my speed when I crossed the line, didn't look down though,LOL was trying to get stopped......

Old 04-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

LOL yeah I can imagine that. 150' = Gas then Brakes!!

Old 04-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

STAKK... I have less expirience drag racing with a tree than you give me credit for... but to be able to run times as fast as the lighter 2 cycle quads, on a loose surface, is very good... every track is going to have it's own specific conditions... to be a really good racer, you must be able to adapt to each races conditions... that may mean using 4 X 4 or not using it, knowing & having available the tires that will perform the best on any given surface, & clutch tuning for the distance & surface raced on... I found in my module testing last summer, just how much tire spin can effect acceleration... both negitively & positively... if traction is good, & wheelies are a real problem, then tire spin may be your friend, but in loose conditions, it can cost you big time... as in the Banshee's spinning all the way... in that case, a little thottle control would have helped alot... 2nd place out on your 1st race is a good job... just good enough to insure you had fun & will do it again, & not too good, to where you think you've got it all figured out... trust me, you never get it all figured out...LOL...

I'm hoping to go to a north Iowa 1/8 mile drag strip a few times this summer, now that the new motor is running good, time to see what it will do on a "hard" track...

Quick Reply: My drag race times......