Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New BF owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New BF owner

Just to place my 2 cents.
Love it so far. Does exactly how I thought it would. Very strong, aggressive stance, nice ride, and just flat feels good. I live in Montana now, but used to live in Georgia. I would pick the Prairie platform all day long for my old riding grounds in Georgia. Different story in the mountains of sw Montana. Its all about ground clearance and spinal salvation up here. I would also say the off camber situation does make one a little apprehensive at first, but after intentionally placing it in some harry positions, I was greatly surprised at how stable it remains for such a tall ride. Much more confidence inspiring than my friends Polaris 600 on the same trails. The two big bores have different roles to play in the atv world, I am just thankful to be an American and lucky enough to own one of each.

Old 07-31-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New BF owner

Welcome to the Forums & Congrats on your New BF750. I too need the extra ground clearance of an IRS & even as the Cat 650 provided this with their IRS & mucho ground clearance, I have missed my Kawasaki P650 & the way Kawie equips their 4wheelers. Shouldn't be too much longer & I too will have a BF to go along w/the Cat 650, that is, till I sell the Cat.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default New BF owner

Congrats on the new BF, I too own a 02 P650, and am thinking about buying a new machine. Looked at the SP 700 EFI today, I have not been a fan of the Polaris ATV's (Too heavy) but they do seem to be built pretty solid and I like the lifetime warrenty on the belt, but I think you confirmed my thoughts on the Sportsman. Just wondering, which do you thimk would actually tip over easier in off camber situations, the IRS or the SRA? Have you had a chance to ride at high elevations yet, if so how did it do, did you notice a loss of power up there?

stock 02 p650

Old 08-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New BF owner

There is no question in my mind that the Polaris would tip quicker than the BF. I also believe that the BF would tip quicker than my Prairie. However, the tradeoff in power, ground clearance, and a less fatiguing ride on rocky terrain make this a no brainer for me.
I have only been to around 9000 feet so far on the BF but NOTICED no difference power from 4500 ft. I am doing virtually no WOT yet however.
I would also say that If the BF or Polaris are in tipppy situation, the BF is much more manageable at 150 pounds lighter.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default New BF owner

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default New BF owner

The one thing that ruins the Polaris machines for me it the 4x4 system. I don't want the machine to sense when I need 4 wheel drive. I want to be able to select 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel limited slip and 4 wheel locked. I'm not thrilled with the Kawasaki lever system either but it looks to be less annoying that the Polaris system if one can "lock" the lever down. Can you do that or do you have to hold the thing in all the time if you want the front locked?

Plus 8600 bucks msrp on their 760 cc efi 800? That is about 1000 bucks too high. An awfully nice looking machine though and if I could learn to accept the 4x4 system I might consider it. The BF is my choice at the moment however.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default New BF owner

Thanks for the reply, yes you do have to hold the lever in, but you can bring it in the instant you need it and at the rate you need it no matter what speed you are going. In my opinion that is better than having to stop before you need it to put it in lock or having to anticipate that you are going to need it. I have had my P650 for 2 years and have not tound it to be a problem.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default New BF owner

As far as the polaris four wheel drive system it works flawless. My dad is a polaris freak. never had a problem with the operation of the system. I myself am seriously taking into consideration selling my 2004 Bombardier ds650 bajax and getting a brute force. Anyone else out there leave theyre sport quads behind and go for a big bore utility? Every time i ride with my old man i wish that i had that cushy ride and the chance to just sit back and check out the scenery for once . Instead of having tunnel vision when you taking a logging road at 60+ mph , Dont get me wrong you can sit back and relax on the bomber but its just not the same. Such a tough call but i love the idea of taking a brute force and tricking it out and having the ultimate mountain goat and on the side having a sand only 2 stroke like a quadzilla or banshee later on. Oh and since im here any suggestions on a nice "all around tire"
for the bf? I'm thinking either the itp holeshots for the utility or the itp mudlites Anyone running these tires?