Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou 300 too much oil!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bayou 300 too much oil!

I handed down my 89 bayou 300 4x4 to my nephew. After minimal use for the past dozen years we did some minor maintenance (brakes, oil, spark plug) and it ran well with the exception of the choke needing to be about half on. I figured it was the carb and told him to get it cleaned.
after about 3 weeks of heavy use he noticed it was not running as smooth one day. So a buddy of his noticed that the oil in the sight glass was low so they put more oil in. Once I got to look at it I could see that the oil sight glass was completely full.
So my first question, is too much oil a bad thing?
I think I have read that somewhere. If so what do I have to do to rectify this?

Old 06-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Now it could have been just a little over and that's not too bad. A lot over and it's going to wind up getting some back in to the air box, among other problems.

First thing I would do would be to drain the oil and refill it to the proper level.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Scootergpx! I went to change the oil but forgot something.
But I checked out another issue my nephew told me about. That is that it won't start and he has no lights(neutral or reverse)on his dash. So I checked that out and he sees no neutral or reverse light is because the machine is still in a forward gear. I can go up one gear and than down one gear but it is not going down to neutral.
Is there anything I can do to get it down to neutral or is there an adjustment I can make?

Old 06-23-2018, 02:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You have rocked the machine while changing gear haven't you? As the bike needs to be moving or running to change. If this doesn't work, don't change the oil until you have the gearchange sorted, as something in the selector mechanism is out of whack and you will have to drain the oil and remove the clutch case to investigate.