Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How to put the chain back on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to put the chain back on?

Ok.. chain came off and bunched up.. but i just kicked it into reverse and it came undone. And no cracking of the case occured. I was just wondering how I would put the chain back on the rear sprocket? do i have to take the chain off or is there some way I can leave it on and do it? Do i have to take the rear skid off? thx.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Well you say your chain came off heh?

So first you need to inspect the sprockets to see if any damage occurred or if they are wearing poorly......
Replace sprock as a pair and replace the chain at the same time, if you see excessive wear....

If all is OK, raise the rear wheel off the ground, (on my Raptor, I forget the specifics of the Warrior Sorry) then loosen the two locknuts on the rear axle housing, the large ones, I think they are 17mm. Once those are loose then loosen the 12mm locknuts and back out the axle adjustment bolts, allowing the axle housing to be moved towards the engine, to allow maximum room for reinstallation of the chain.

If you cannot adjust the axle housing so that the chain can go back on then, you will have to remove the front or rear sprockets, if you don't have a master link in the chain.

After you have reinstalled the chain, you need to be aware of overtightening the thing. If it's too tight, you can break a sprocket and that gets ugly. If it's too loose it can flop around and come off.....

Be sure and keep the thing soaking wet with chain l;ube berfore every ride. And properly adjust it.

When you adjust it, spin the chain around and try and find the tightest spot in the chain and adjust it there. Adjust it so when your are resting your wieght on the seat, there should be about 1 1/2 inches of play in it.... Compressing the suspension is a surprizingly important and overlooked step in the adjustment procedure.

if the chain has kinks in it, or you can see damaged Orings, replace it.... Remember though that an Orind chain will have a lot more stiffness in it as compared to a non Oring chain....

Oh yeah check the nuts or bolts ont he drive gear and the driven gear....

Old 06-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

i think hes talking about his kfx budxxx...........just pop off ur masterlink, put the chain back on the sprockets and put the maser back on then tighten it up and make shure you spray up the chain with a good lube and compress the rear shock all the way because the chaiin is at its loosest point when the shock is compressed like bud said

Old 06-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah the Master link would be the quickest and maybe the easiest, but a lot of quads come from the factory without a master link..

If you buy a chain with a master link, buy two master links and put them in your toolbox...

Old 10-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default SAME ISSUE chain popped off

how do I put it back on without too much mechanical knowledge.
this is a Chinese atv and it should be a simple fix, does anyone know of a good video on how to pop the chain back on without taking everything apart?