Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave smokes realy bad the smoke is white.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2000, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mojave smokes realy bad the smoke is white.

Old 10-14-2000, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

what does the smoke smell like?

Old 10-14-2000, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Old 10-16-2000, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

White smoke means you are burning oil. You have oil getting in your combustion chamber somehow. could be valve stem seals or something but is most likely going past your piston rings. The Mojave air system is prone to have leaks around the rubber hoses after the filter and suck in dirt. Dirt goes in, rings and cylinder wall go bad. I know, had it happen to me and I had plenty of white smoke. You will probably need to have it bored and replace the piston. Wiesco makes a .020 and .040 oversize piston for the Mojave. Have it checked by the shop that will bore it once it is apart to see the condition of the cylinder. You want to use the .020 piston if at all possible as the wall is getting borderline thin with the .040. Some people will not put the .040 in for that reason but many have ran it without problems.

Old 10-16-2000, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

if your mojave is blowing white smoke, than it has a blown head gasket, or cracked head or cylinder. if it were burning oil, it would be blowing black smoke.

Old 10-17-2000, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

Obviously scrapheap doasn't know what he is talking about. White smoke means the motor is burning oil. You may not have to replace your piston or bore it out. After I overheated my mojave I just replaced the rings and it totally cured my smoking problem(white smoke not black). From my experiance the oil seals on the valves rarely go bad and shouldn't need replacing. You should only need a bore job if your cylinder walls are scored. If they are not scored than a $30 set of rings is a lot cheaper than $150 for a piston, rings, and boring.

Old 10-17-2000, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Oil burning produces white smoke and a too rich fuel mixture produces black smoke. Mojaveracer is right that just rings may do it. I have torn down mojaves with many hours on them that only needed a hone and new rings, however none off them smoked very much. That is why I said you will "probably" need a bore. I would be prepared for the expense of a rebore before tearing it down and then if you don't need it, spend the money on your honey, she would like that. Mojaveracer is also right that if it ran hot the rings could be bad without a scored wall. Another thing will cause rings to loose their seal is if it has been flooded severly and riden that way. The excessive gas will do what is called "wash away the rings" (not literally)and cause them to allow smoking. However I still believe that you will most likely need a rebore.

A blown head gasket that is leaking coolant into the cylinder will cause white smoke too. And the valve stems very rarely give trouble but if you take it apart check them anyway.

Old 10-17-2000, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer

i admit that i made a mistake in my last post.
black smoke indicates a lean mixture. white smoke is burning coolant, and BLUE smoke is burning oil. i'm sorry, but mojaveracer and mojaveaddict aren't very mechanically experienced if they don't know this already.

Old 10-18-2000, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

scrapheap, It's nice to see you admit that you made a mistake in you earlier post. Problem is that you have made more in the latest one. Black smoke comes from running rich, not lean. Oil burning does produce a smoke with a slight blue tint to it, sometimes more than others. However most people call this smoke white because that is what it looks like to them. Only experienced techs really pay enough attention to notice the slight blue tint. As for questioning my and mojaveracers experience, I have 29 years experince, first as a mechanic, then shop forman in a large garage, then service manager, automotive instructor at a college, and now I write service manuals, develope curriculums and teach techs about elecrtic cars for a college. I have seen more than a few engines burning oil and coolant.
I work on ATV's for fun and to help all my riding buddies. I have been into mojaves to the point that no two pieces where hooked together. I own two mojaves and have been modifying and riding them since 1988 (probably before you were born).

My last post stated that the smoke may be oil or coolant so the owner could check out both possibilities.

The main reason I bother to respond to this forum is to try to help people and share my experience. I think Mojaveracer is trying to do the same. You on the other hand seem to concerned only with trying to bash someone on the forum and you put out wrong info while doing it. By the way, What is your experience level?

Old 10-18-2000, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

i would like to apologize to mojave addict for my last post, i didn't read his entire post before writing my own reply. i'm not trying to bash anyone, and i'm sorry if i offended anyone.

Quick Reply: Mojave smokes realy bad the smoke is white.