Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota sport vs. Honda 250EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota sport vs. Honda 250EX

Originally posted by: LarryHagmansLiver
Hey all,
Still toying with the idea of blowing money on a second sport quad and there are a lot in the used market where the price is right. How does the Lakota sport stack up to a 250EX stock vs. stock? I'd like something that I can jump without getting thrown off, something that I can wheelie by leaning back, and that will slide around corners easily.

I've ridden a 250EX and it seemed to do all of these well, but the suspension was a little short on travel. The only immediate mods I'd be looking at are tires along the lines of Dirt devils, Spider Tracs, or Mudlites.

Your takes?
HEY man if u want somethin like dat get a mojave faster than a lakota and it can eat a 250ex up in 3rd gear. i have a 03 mojave and if it was a woman i would marry it i love it .

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: holeshotz8436
well ive went riding with 250ex's and ive driven them my self and they wheelie extremely well because their is hardly any weight at all in the front end, their lightweight overall and the engines dont require very much mantinence and its a six speed which is kinda cool for a 250 and it also has an oil cooler which is a plus but they hit the rev limiter way too fast in the lower gears, it has a shaft drive so you cant change sprockets to squeeze more top end or bottom end power out of it which i dont like, i dont think it will respond very well to mods because of the way the engine is desigined and like you said the suspension pritty much sukcs, ive driven one on a track and i felt like it didnt have any and it really lacks low end power to hit whoops with and in mud and snow it has a toguh time too but you cant change the tire size to get more ground clearance becuase their is no way to ajust the gearing accordingly.

Now to the lakota.....in any length drag race i can pritty much smoke a 250ex(when the kota was stock) and i can on the track also, and the lakotas suspension is also pritty decent and has no problems soaking up any kind of bumps.......the lakota also does very well on the trails, in the winter when the trails are covered with 6to 12 inches of snow i usually pulling the ex's out of ditches because they bottom out easially if that tells you anything and its ussually the same case with mud and their are plenty of good moda avalible if you ever feel your lakota needs more power and pritty much the lakota has the ex beat in every catagory besides weight and wheelieing but some aluminum wheeles up front and lighter tires will make the lakota lift right up so theirs really no catagory where the 250ex beats the lakota
its not a 6speed wat u smokin.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mojavemadman12
Originally posted by: holeshotz8436
well ive went riding with 250ex's and ive driven them my self and they wheelie extremely well because their is hardly any weight at all in the front end, their lightweight overall and the engines dont require very much mantinence and its a six speed which is kinda cool for a 250 and it also has an oil cooler which is a plus but they hit the rev limiter way too fast in the lower gears, it has a shaft drive so you cant change sprockets to squeeze more top end or bottom end power out of it which i dont like, i dont think it will respond very well to mods because of the way the engine is desigined and like you said the suspension pritty much sukcs, ive driven one on a track and i felt like it didnt have any and it really lacks low end power to hit whoops with and in mud and snow it has a toguh time too but you cant change the tire size to get more ground clearance becuase their is no way to ajust the gearing accordingly.

Now to the lakota.....in any length drag race i can pritty much smoke a 250ex(when the kota was stock) and i can on the track also, and the lakotas suspension is also pritty decent and has no problems soaking up any kind of bumps.......the lakota also does very well on the trails, in the winter when the trails are covered with 6to 12 inches of snow i usually pulling the ex's out of ditches because they bottom out easially if that tells you anything and its ussually the same case with mud and their are plenty of good moda avalible if you ever feel your lakota needs more power and pritty much the lakota has the ex beat in every catagory besides weight and wheelieing but some aluminum wheeles up front and lighter tires will make the lakota lift right up so theirs really no catagory where the 250ex beats the lakota
its not a 6speed wat u smokin.
I chekced the honda web site and it says its a five speed but i could have swore the one that i drove was a six speed but i drive it a while ago so i must be getting it confused with somthing else but i really thought it was the little 250ex with the 6 speed so sorry for providing wrong info about that but i think everyting else i said is valid

Old 08-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coulda been a Warrior/ Raptor 350; they have 6spds. Though it would be kinda hard to mistake a Warrior for a 250ex...........

Old 08-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kwackermann
Coulda been a Warrior/ Raptor 350; they have 6spds. Though it would be kinda hard to mistake a Warrior for a 250ex...........
ya i no they do, its near impossible to mistake a warrior for a 250ex lol but for whatever reason i just thought it had a six speed, what was i smoking............lol

Old 08-28-2005, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by: LarryHagmansLiver
Hey all,
Still toying with the idea of blowing money on a second sport quad and there are a lot in the used market where the price is right. How does the Lakota sport stack up to a 250EX stock vs. stock? I'd like something that I can jump without getting thrown off, something that I can wheelie by leaning back, and that will slide around corners easily.

I've ridden a 250EX and it seemed to do all of these well, but the suspension was a little short on travel. The only immediate mods I'd be looking at are tires along the lines of Dirt devils, Spider Tracs, or Mudlites.

Your takes?
ITs really ur dission tho of course the guys in here are gonna say the kawi to make you think the 250ex isnt all that good i have road a 250ex and its a really nice bike for the money tho but id say teh 250ex

Old 08-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Never ridden the honda but there are more mods for the lakota and of coures nobody can keep a quad stock forever. right?

Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Duck brings up a very good point. Not only is there a bunch of stuff out there for the Lakota itself, but a bunch of stuff interchanges with the Mojave; look at the Twins on my pic page. Alotta chassis stuff is infact derived from the mojave, the engine is shared with the Prairie and Bayou of the day save for a little more aggressive cams for a sporty 'kick'.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt even waste the time with the 250ex..its a great quad for beginners but your gonna want alot more performance and power after a few weeks from it...which would be kinda hard cuz thers no sprockets to change and only so much you can do with that motor...therefore on the lakota's and mojave's cycleworksracing has just about every performance mods out there for the mojave's and lakota's and you can really make them sick with the right parts...also if you want something you can jump at a decent high than the 250ex isnt good for that cuz of it small suspension travle...i havent had any problems with the shocks bottoming out on my lakota and ive hit 25 foot table tops without any problems...