Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Are V-twins just hard to start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are V-twins just hard to start?

I open the choke fully, and give it about 1/8 throttle,
If you did not notice the majority of the replys seem to be indicating this, but just in case. Try not giving it any gas when the choke is on in particular by means of holding the throttle open, You can generaly get away with a quick blip of the throttle but if you hold it in, you will flood the motor and have to either wait a while or crank the heck out of it to get it started. This tends to happen quite often with my old P650 since it is tipicaly used as a guest quad now days. When I start it myself it always starts right up but I just put the choke on full and hit the starter. now that said I keep my thumb ready to give it a little gas after its started to help increase the idle a little, till it warms up.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cc1999, boy have I got something for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's called Clash Of The Titans and will be held on march 10-12. I talked to one of the organizers and he said if we have enough people then they will run a ute class. The event features a 300 foot groomed sand drag w/tree[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Check out the bomb forum for more details and I posted a thread on this forum as well. Hope you can make it and help me drum up some more ute competion it should be real fun. Quads pushing over 100hp and running 300 foot in the high 3's or low 4's what's better than that. By the way it's in Sicily Island LA.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My BF750 has been the best to start of any of the other VTwins I had before, which were two of the P650s and one very cold-blooded '04 Cat 650V2.
All of my Vtwins were parked in a unheated garage but This BF750 is Tops. Full choke, no gas at all, hit the starter button and within seconds the BF fires, give a little gas to nurse it along, turn choke down to 3/4 full to 1/2 and after about 3 minutes of a little throttle here and there, I can turn the choke off and the BF sits there with a perfect smooth idle. Give it too much gas with the choke on and the BF will stall but does restart with ease. I've learned just to let it run between 3/4 and 1/2 choke with light amount of throttle and after 3 minutes everything is fine.
TIP:
If you are letting the Vtwin sit awhile then be sure to add some of the Fuel-stabilzer in with a full tank of gas, this helps allot in starting. Also, after adding the fuel stabilzer allow the engine to run a bit to allow this mixture to get to the carbs.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

the temp in my garage is set at 48deg and when i start my 700 i put the choke on full and crank it over untill it starts.
no gas just choke and after 2 or 3 seconds it starts right up.
it will go on fast idle for about a minute and then it starts to sputter, and then i turn the choke off and i let it idle again untill im ready to ride.
mine will stall if i dont turn the choke off when it starts to sputter but if i get it right away its fine.
some times if i leave it in my truck overnight i will start it the same but when i turn the choke off i idles to slow so i will have to rev it up a bit till it will idle by itself but its got to be realy cold outside for that to happen.
you should not have to give it throttle befor it starts.
like someone else said earlyer if you give it gas when you go to start it you might flood it out and then its hard to start.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

hi i recently buy a kfx 700 it start realy good whit choke and no gas afther 1minute it sputer take off the choke and give somme gas to warm it up and afther 2 3 min it idle perfectly it,s not my ds 650 but it start great but you have to give it gas until it gets warmed like my old 400ex i think it,s normal for a japanes bike

Old 02-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

The choke is only used to start a cold engine. When the engine is started up, turn off the choke and let it warm up at idle. Leaving your choke on after start up will cause your plugs to foul out and have misfire problems. It's no good to rev up a cold engine. Keep it below 2,000rpms when cold or you will cause engine damage.