Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

For the Lakota guys.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the Lakota guys.

Hello there, First post just signed up after spending some time read through 3 pages [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ill go stuff in these forums!

Wish I found ya about 3 months ago.

Some history:

about 3 months ago I purchesed a used 2003 Lakota sport for my Girl(Fiance). I my-self drive an 05 KFX400. Not much done to it.

But this is were im left at with the lakota. She doesnt want to do jumps and stuff. But she wants speed/ throtle respose quicker. She rolls over the jumps then shoots off. Jumps are her deal. (Yet im working on it)

From what Iv read I ordered:

DynoJet kit
13t sproket
KN air filter

Things to do.

Zest Orange plastics.
New rear tires (More MX style)
New Fronts (More MX style)

The tires in the backare just way to big. heheh. She wants the wide flat ones I have on my bike(Similar). But im all new to this too. Im not sure what to mix and match. What can I do to get a lower tire on the back that will make the bike more MX style. I have no idea. Even from what Iv read im lost.

My KFX appears to "Sit back in hear terms" she is kind of going with the same idea hear. I did read something about 20" but it dint explaine enough for me to commit to it. Can I use factory rims?

Once the backs are done. What do I use for the front tires? Keep in mind the Lakota came at a great deal. All gurage kept too. Short on change. Thats what we went with. Down side. 2 people were on it at almost all times. Larger people too. So the spention feels shot on it. But then again Im use to my bike.
ATV doesnt look like it been used for more then 120 hours. At most. I want to start off with all the affordable stuff then work into the expensive stuff.

I want to wake this thing up for her. And I need your input.

I greatly appreciate any and all info!

Phyro

Old 03-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Phyro, welcome....I have Razr MX's on my mojave (20-6-10 front and 18-10-10 rear)..check out my pics for how it looks sitting on them, you may also want to get an exhaust along with the 13t sprocket and the jet kit for the bike too. Check out holeshotz lakota as he has orange plastic and a big gun exhaust along with enternal mods.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

I was looking at your quad pics last night in a diffrent post when I saw you name. Looks pretty sweet!

With puting the 13t sprocket on. (Little unfamilar with the gear ratio works)

I was thinking of keeping the factory rims.(Talking about setting a date to get married witch is why I want to do this before hand. Ahh no money after words heheh)

I was looking at on the factory rims puting Maxxis Razr 20x11x10 on the rear and Kenda Front Max 22x8x10 on the front. now going from 12t to 13t then 2 inches less on the Outer diameter of the rear tires would that make it geared lower or higher?

I found more post on these forums. I luv reading all the info you got on these forums about the mojave and lakots [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, with the smaller tires and the bigger sprockets the ratio will be close to stock

Old 03-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to assume you are going to be doing a lot of trail riding with the Lakota? I would stick with 20" rear and 21" fronts, don't go any smaller than that. As long as the rims aren't all dented and banged up, you may use them with the new tires. If you are on a budget, I would look into the Kenda Klaws. They are a respected low profile"MX" style tire, and are generally a little cheaper than the Holeshots or Razors which are also very popular. Unless you are actually going to race MX, I would look more to the XC tires. With these you tend to get a bit more durability/less prone to punctures and flats. If you are going to a smaller rear tire, that will gear the quad for more acceleration by itself...something to think about before changing the gearing via sprocket. Since you guys are fairly new, I would just change one thing at a time. See how she likes it, and plan the next change from there. An aftermarket exhaust may be in the works for more power. Suspension can be spendy, but if yours is truly shot then new might be a good investment. Have you tried any adjustment to the shocks yet?

Old 03-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

glad to finally see someone on here with a lakota besides me lol......

for tires i would go with razr2's, 21-7-10's in the front on douglas red lables and 20x11x10's in the back with red lables or douglas ultiamtes if you want somthing a bit stronger and the aluminum wheels will deffinatly help out performance wise if you are looking for more throttle response and acceleraton but if you want to save money just mount the tires to the stock wheels....as far as sprockets if you are going to go with the 20 inch rear tires you will have to get a 14 tooth sprocket in the front...even with the stock 22's a 14tooth front sprocket will help utilize the engine power much better but you will have to get it from sidewinder or sprocket specialests...i would send back or return the dyno jet kit and the k&n filter...you can get bigger jetts at your dealer for 4 bucks each and you can get a twin air filter for 15 and they perform just as good and dont take as much to maintain nevermind that you will save aroud 60-70 bucks....and there really isnt a need to jet untill you get a pipe anyway and as far as pipes get a big gun, they are way better then the supertrapps and whatever you do dont get a dg or a cobra they both suck and are wicked loud.....i got orange plastics on mine too and it looks sick especially with the polsihed wheels and orange nerf netts....check out my pics and my mod list, just ignore the purple seat and back wheels and tires..that pic is a bit outa date...also if you ever wanna go real crazy with the engine check out cycleworksracing.net

Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Trailblazer

The orange. I luv it. Thats my personal prefference [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . But that is gunn be a little while off for her for the new plastics that is.

The K&N I grabed of ebay. Thats on its way. And I ll just hold on to the jet kit for later on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I got the 14t on the way, 13t was an easy cancel. The rims from factory are in excelent shap. There is just dust on'em thats about it. The suspension is a little wore out. So the rear, Im definetly gunna need to look into. And this was after playing with the adustments.

The sprocket, tires, Air filter,(Jet kit hold on too) Are what Im just gunna get down right now.

Im going to save for the exhaust (WOW bigger bucks) A Slip on be benificial? I mean there is such a small hole on the factory muffler. Plastics. Those are the next two I want to get done. But, With the plastics He suggested to me that I just look for the bright green ones on ebay some time instead of sinking that much in to the plastic and someone might crack it. Thats a flop right now.

I was loking at the diffrent treads and ties and all. But she doesnt go anyware I cant. He choice. So I stick to tracks and all trails from deer horses and crap around my house. Plus my primary two place is like 20 ackers of land lock property that have been being used for 18 as trails. (It like a cool mx track with out the Giant! jumps) Then there is an un ussed quary pit from a cement comany around her hidden in the woods that works great for hill climbing mogle's, medium jumps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I appreciate your time and info!!

The lakota is on its way. Dont want to make it to large a money pit though. So I got to find a cut off.

Phyro

Old 03-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

you could cut the stock down a bit.....also...i've been hit and endo'd my Mojave with the race plastic and it didn't crack or get white spots

Old 03-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, Holes, you think a 14t front spocket is a better way to go over the 13 that even with my mods?

I didn't know Big Gun made exhaust for the Lakota!!!! I'll admit haven't been into the aftermarket for the 'Kota for sometime now.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

i think you will like the 14 tooth way better.....it will let you utilize the power that your lakota is already putting out alot better then the 13 tooth....i have all mid to top end mods like the carburator and cam and i still have tons of low end powerwith the 14th sprocket on and the front end lifts right up when i shift fron 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd.......

Quick Reply: For the Lakota guys.