Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

brute force 650 keeps over heating...help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brute force 650 keeps over heating...help

my buddy has a 05 brute force and the last few rides it has been over heating...we cant figuire it out...runs fine..no smoke, fan comes on, fuses are good...radiater is clean..

any idea?

Old 06-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Did you take some air and try blowing from the back of the radiator fowards or did you jsut clean the outside of the front?

Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Dealer told me that he gets lots of Brutes in with overheating and the radiator appears clean, only to find out the thing is extremely saturated with fine dust that needs to be blown out with water or compressed air. I didn't think dust could do that, but it does evidently. Also, try that Water Wetter or Engine Ice stuff to get overall temps down a little. But if it is mechanical, no amount of that will do you any good I spose.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

1st... are you sure the radiator is clean ??? try taking a trouble light or flashlight, etc. & put behind it, shining the light through the radiator... it may be dirtier than you think...

2nd... if you are sure the radiator is clean, have you had the radiator cap off ??? it needs to be tightened fully to the 2nd click... if it's not fully tightened to the 2nd click, the system will not build up pressure, & it will over heat...

3rd... our '06 - 650 SRA Brute is set really lean from the factory ( does it pop through the carbs until it gets fully warmed up ??? if it does, you are likely pretty lean, which will make the engine run hotter...

4th... if you've set up your rear brake, & it is dragging slightly, or your KBEC is dragging more than it's supposed to, the motor will run hot...

these are very high performance engines, the amount of coolant, & oil in them are very low, by design ( probably for weight reduction )... some of the guy's that ride mud all the time, relocate & often times add a bigger radiator to the front rack... if you are running a winch, it will often block some of the air needed for the radiator with it in it's stock location.

adding a high performance coolant additive like Water Wetter, Engine Ice will help so, replacing the coolant with a waterless coolant like Evans NPG + or NPG-R is better yet...

you can also add an oil cooler which will help lots, by offering more cooling, & higher oil capacity...

Old 06-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

Buy some eagle one wheel cleaner with the word ETCHING on the bottle... spray the radiator and let it soak then rinse it off. Your overheating problems should be gone as it will pull off all the mud stains on the fins and make the radiator look new again and it should cool alot better. If it still is overheating then you might have an air bubble in the system or its clogged up top where alot of people can't see and don't know until they take their front fender off.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thermostat mabey

Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: xGoatMan
Buy some eagle one wheel cleaner with the word ETCHING on the bottle... spray the radiator and let it soak then rinse it off. Your overheating problems should be gone as it will pull off all the mud stains on the fins and make the radiator look new again and it should cool alot better. If it still is overheating then you might have an air bubble in the system or its clogged up top where alot of people can't see and don't know until they take their front fender off.

I looked at Wal-mart and did not see that Eagle 1 Etching stuff. I think some one said Auto Zone may have it also. I would really like to get some.