Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Warn Winch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn Winch Problems

I'm fed up with Warn winch's. I have a Warn 2500 winch on my Prairie, I needed it the other day and it wouldn't work. I know I've only used it 3 times to pull myself out. When I took it apart it was completely filled with mud. I cleaned it up and put it back together and it started working again. A couple of buddies and I went riding the other day and my buddy got stuck. I pulled him out but got stuck in the process. I tried using my winch and it sqeeled like crazy and wouldn't pull with a darn. I asked my other buddy to try to help and get me out. After pulling for a few seconds his winch started smoking like crazy. Since I asked him to pull me out I felt like I was partially responsible. I told him I would take care of getting his fixed. At that time I had no idea what kind of winch he had and figured it was a cheapo from Ebay. Well today I finally got around to fixing his winch, I took it apart and the winch was fine but the contactor was messed up. I stopped by the local dealership and they gave me a price of $93.00 for a new one. I didn't buy thinking I could come home and find one on the internet cheaper. When I went to the Warn site I found out it had a recall on it, said they had some that were a potential fire hazard. After the luck I've had - I'm going to order a cheapo from Ebay for mine.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Range Rover

YA, I sent my contackter back to warn and they sent me a new redesigned one back.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah.... I would notput $93 in their pocket. Buy a contactor for a Gorilla winch. They cost about 19.00 and it's the same damn thing..... Works great..

Old 01-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My Venom 2500XT has outlasted my buddies warn on his sp700[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: newbruterider
Yeah.... I would notput $93 in their pocket. Buy a contactor for a Gorilla winch. They cost about 19.00 and it's the same damn thing..... Works great..
you have a link to this i can't find it anywhere

Old 01-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

$24.00 shipped to your front door

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...5894QQtcZphoto

you get the contactor, a rocker switch, and some cables...

Old 01-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

sweet man thanks. i bought it, hows it working for you? how does it do underwater at least the contactor? as you can see by my avatar, my quad doesn't see dry land often

Old 01-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

No problem...

I actually have mine mounted right underneath the rear brake light. I haven't had any problems with mine at all. I don't do much deep water riding,but i have seen my rear tires disappear a time or two [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] so far so good, and they're cheap, so I have (2) extra ones just incase

Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer

How can I tell if my Warn 2.5ci has one of these bad contactor's before I find out the hard way? Can Warn tell you based on SN?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

Just go to www.warn.com You'll see right on the front page something about the recall. They have a picture of the recalled part and its very easy to recognize.

Quick Reply: Warn Winch Problems