Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

break-in tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break-in tips

Blew it up....

Oil everywhere...

HELP!!!!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

look-at-date-of-last-post...

Old 04-03-2007, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Up to about 6 hours. riding has been pretty good.
WOw those Mudlites kick

Been hitting about 64-65 and backing off....what is top end?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Should be about 70

Old 04-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Originally posted by: ZButcheR
Speaking of synthetic I hav a Q...

Does 1 want to breakin a motor with none synthetic 1st???

Is their any harm you could do to the motor if you used just synthetic ???

Thx....
Most of the big buck motors in cars (vipers, corvettes, aston martins, porsche, and so on) come standard with mobil one in the sump. Lots of new motors are broke in on synthetics, and no harm is done. If it were harmful, the engineers and chemists at the big car companies, would have something else called out for the breakin. Oil is oil, and chemically they are the same, it just differs in how they are made.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
rv
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

breakin try this link

Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default break-in tips

Does 1 want to breakin a motor with none synthetic 1st??? Is their any harm you could do to the motor if you used just synthetic ???
Crane cams and most other cam makers that I know say don't do it. It's a no, no.
Redline oil (makers of syn oil) say's it's a no, no. Don't do it.
Every engine builder that I know of say's don't do it.
If you have ever seen a burnished bore you will know why they say this.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

Well I guess chevrolet does not know squat. What the heck are they thinking putting mobil 1 synthetic in from the get go in a new corvette? Dodge too with the viper. Man those guys building daily driven cars with 500+ hp from the factory putting mobil 1 are really dumb! We should call them and tell them that the corvettes and vipers are going have burnished bores.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default break-in tips

Well I guess chevrolet does not know squat. What the heck are they thinking putting mobil 1 synthetic in from the get go in a new corvette? Dodge too with the viper. Man those guys building daily driven cars with 500+ hp from the factory putting mobil 1 are really dumb! We should call them and tell them that the corvettes and vipers are going have burnished bores.
They won't. They have full on computer dyno's. Do you have access to a dyno? They also have CNC finishing machines that can get the bore down to .00001. Think you can get your little ball hone that close? Ha ha ha......I think not.

Ask your friendly motorcycle mechanic about decking plates. "IF" he knows what they are, ask him if he will use some on your jugs next time he bores them.

Crane cam Break-in sheet.
Due to the EPA?s mandate for zinc removal from most motor oils, proper flat tappet camshaft break-in procedureis more critical than ever before. This is true for both hy-draulic and mechanical flat tappet camshafts. As a point of interest, the most critical time in the life of a flat tappet camshaft is the first 20 minutes of ?break-in? during which the bottoms of the tappets ?mate-in? with the cam lobes.There are some oils with additive packages that are bet-ter for camshaft ?break-in?. These include: Shell Rotella T oil; Chevron Delo 400; and Mobil DELVAC oil. These oils are listed as diesel oils, but work great for flat cam-shaft ?break-in?. We also recommend the use of Crane Cams # 99003-1 Break-in lube or GM ?E.O.S.? (Engine Oil Supplement) Assembly Lubricant # 1052367. These should be poured over the lifters and camshaft prior to start up.CAUTION: We do not recommend the use of synthetic oils for ?break-in? because they are too slippery. This characteristic reduces the tendency of the lifter to rotate on the camshaft lobe and mate properly. Prior to install-ing the camshaft and lifters, it is recommended that the crankcase be drained and filled with new, clean oil. The oil filter should also be changed at this time.

LTZGUY, guess you more than most cam manufactures or major race engine builders.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default break-in tips

So every car that rolls off the assembly line gets dynoed? Yea right. i use deck plates on my race car engine. Yes I have access to a dyno jet dyno. My car has been dynoed many of times. Does crane cams build cars? No. Is crane a bigger company than chevy? No. Does crane do the R&D that chevy does? that would be a no. But hey, opinions are like a$$h*oles, everybody has one.

Quick Reply: break-in tips