Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

why cant you put a cvt quad on a dyno and get accurate numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why cant you put a cvt quad on a dyno and get accurate numbers?

I was just wandering why you had to measure at the crank for cvt quads instead of measuring at the wheels?
I suppose the numbers would be weird and have a strange curve to them, but would it maybe show as much more power because of the changing gear ratios and stuff like that?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

i just thought some of you would know b/c a lot of you have kfx700s, maybe i should ask the polaris forum how they do this with their scramblers and trailblazers if i dont get a reply here.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know why you couldn't. They do it with sleds all the time with a special dyno you can run a track on, just gives you an idea of how much power you're getting to the ground. I guess if you're doing a benchmark against other machines you might want to run them all off the crank to get representative numbers.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

have YOU done it with a sled? is it true that a 100horse sled doesnt put much more than 25 to the ground?

Old 03-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

I've just read about it on Snowest and in magazines. As for how much gets to the ground I can't say, never tried it with mine. I would think it would be more than 1/4 though.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Unlike a manual quad that is locked in a certain gear closest to a 1:1 ratio, the CVT quads shift the whole time they are on they dyno so you can't get an accurate reading at the rear wheels.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

so if the cvt constantly adjusts and shows higher numbers than reality..... why dont quads with gears do that too?? shifting for the highest numbers, then you can have a virtual drag which shows which quads would win if there was no wind resistance

Old 03-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

CVT quads on a rear wheel are not a true hp rating for the motor. It is only a tuning tool. There are to many variables with a rear wheel that can change hp rating. Springs, weights, machining of clutchs, washers between springs, worn belt, 25% to 30% loss of power through a CVT, tire slippage, tire inflation, tire compound, disc brakes grabbing, different size wheels/tires. Possiblilities are endless. It is much easier to see a 1 or 2 hp difference on a motor dyno than trying to see it on wheel with a cvt. 1 or 2 hp difference on a wheel dyno could mean 2 to 3 hp on a motor dyno.

Once you have the motor tuned to its maximum you will know with out a dought at what rpm you will have maximum hp then you can tune you clutch appropriatly.

Most sled guys use a motor dyno first get the motor at its max then take the sled to a timed light system. Mark out 500 or 600 feet then tune the clutch.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Pro Rider

Here is one that supposedly does. Then can tune the drive line also, see how clutch is shifting etc.

http://www.land-and-sea.com/motorcyc...cycle-dyno.htm

Old 04-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

I believe you can get a fairly accurate reading from the dyno.. What's the difference your CLUTCH slipping and spinning on a dyno versus real world riding (chances are it will do the same action in the real world). Now I do have a well modified KFX700 with FULL Dalton clutch compents..So I know it's biting hard.... Dyno read 54hp to the tires, 94mph @ 10,200 rpm.

Quick Reply: why cant you put a cvt quad on a dyno and get accurate numbers?