Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

My 1st DRAG RACE with the FST 800 BBK installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 1st DRAG RACE with the FST 800 BBK installed

Below is my write-up from yesterday's Sand Drag Races...I hope you enjoy!

TODAY'S DRAG RACES
Today, I entered my twin peaks 800 in two classes (the 401cc & Up 4 stroke Class plus the Open Class) of a local ATV sand drag event (its heads up racing - not E.T. racing). At this atv park, they have been running a series of atv sand drag races about once a month for the past 5 months and today was their final event. I didn't attend any of the prior events, so I had no idea what to expect as far as competition. They actually had 2 separate drag race events today b/c they had to do a make-up race too (from an earlier rain-out).

Other than a few XC races that I've done recently, I have not done any other type of racing (no drag racing) since I installed the FST 800 BBK last spring. I was just hoping to at least be competitive with the sport quads (perhaps win a few rounds before getting knocked out).

TRACK CONDITIONS & SET-UP
This track is supposedly about 300' long (altho I'd guess it might actually be a little bit longer than 300' based on my speeds of 62 and 63 mph when I hit the finish line - but I could be wrong). There was no tree...instead, they had a guy at the starting line to tell us when to go and they had 2 people at the finish line to flag which racer won. The track was slightly down-hill and composed of very loose sand. It was very dry and dusty on the track and the temps were in the upper 90's...unfortunately, we had no shade at the staging area, so all the racers were baking in the HOT SUN waiting to line-up.

FIRST SET OF DRAG RACES - FIRST RUN OF THE DAY
As luck would have it, I drew a "bye" for the first round of the 401cc and up class...so I opted to run the track (alone) to get a feel for the track. I had zero practice runs before the race (it was already groomed and closed off when i arrived this morning). After seeing some amazing starts from the sport quads running sand tires and loud, aftermarket pipes...I felt like my quad was moving in slow motion off the line (with everyone watching me! ...remember, I was the only utility quad there today unless you count a 2 stroke Scrambler 4x4). It ran strong, but didn't feel like I had any chance against the sporties that were in my 2 classes. Funny thing...some of the sport quad racers congratulated me on my "win"! I guess they wanted me to feel good about winning at least 1 round today! lol

SECOND RUN
My second run of the day was in the first round of the Open Class...I drew the 400cc (2 stroke) Scrambler 4x4. I beat him easily and that made me feel a little better.

THIRD RUN
I was chatting it up after my "win" with a friendly guy on a Raptor 700 with paddles. We were having a good time until they called out the second round of the 401cc and up class...that is when I found out I had to race HIM! I thought..."Oh boy, so much for my winning streak!" So we line up and I actually pulled him off the line and held the lead the entire race! I beat him by about 1 or 2 lengths! I was feeling great, but not sure why I won...thinking he possibly had a bad start or something? I spoke to him and he did have a good run...he was perplexed and a little pissed that I beat him! He had been the points leader going into today's race...and I knocked him out in the 2nd round! LOL

FORTH RUN, ETC.
My confidence started getting better after beating the Rapter 700, but my next race was in the Open Class against a YFZ 450 with paddles. Somehow, I pulled out a win on that one too! I was feeling pretty good at this point! I contined to win against each and every sport quad that I raced including two Raptor 700s, a Kaw. 450, a few YFZ 450s, at least one Honda 450R and one or two Suz. 450, and some modded banshees! Most of these quads had paddle tires and motor mods, so I was shocked that I usually stayed even or pulled ahead of them off the line (in 4wd of course). Needless to say, I couldn't believe it when I won both classes without a single loss!

SECOND SET OF DRAG RACES
By the time they started the second set of Drag Races, no one in 401cc class and up wanted to race me! They spoke to the race organizers and then they changed it to double elimination...I got a BYE all the way until the final race for this class (I was told by the organizer that no one wanted to race me)...and then I beat that guy in the final race! lol

The Open class ended the same as the first round...with me racing my old pal on his modded Banshee with paddles...his quad is very fast, but I beat him by about 1 and 1/4 length or so in the final and I took the win again.

TROPHY PRESENTATION
I went to the little ceremony after the races even tho I didn't qualify for any trophys (you much race in at least 3 of the 5 events and I only raced today in 2 events). It was kinda funny b/c I actually beat the guys who got the big trophys today in the Open Class and 401cc and up Class! lol

PICK-UP RACES
Several of the racers, including me, returned to the drag strip afterwards and much to my amazement, many folks actually wanted to race little ol' ME! lol I didn't expect to get any attention today on my ute...and certainly didn't expect everyone to see me as some kind of target to knock off! lol The first Raptor 700 that I raced earlier today insisted that we race again, but this time I had to use 2wd...I obliged and he pulled off the line ahead of me (his paddles hooked up better than my stock rear tires)...but to my surprise, my quad reeled him in and I beat him by about 1 quad length! Needless to say, he was not too happy about that.

The best part of all these wins today was that I did them with my quad set-up for XC racing! Except for running stock tires, I made zero changes to my quad in anticipation of today's drag races... I could have easily changed my clutch springs, dropped some weight (front bumper, etc.), removed some bulky fender pieces, strapped down my front struts...but I didn't do any of this b/c I wanted to see how well it would run against the sporties in its normal set-up....and now I know!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2007, 04:30 PM
rv
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gratz way to go! good job

Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWESOME JOB!!! Love that vtwin power.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think most people, especially the sport-quad riders, understand how good an automatic is in a short drag race. Now add in 800cc of FST horsepower and you've got something tough to beat in 300 ft.