Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

05 Prarie 360 4x4 stalling problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Prarie 360 4x4 stalling problems

I am having problems with my 360 stalling out when you come to a stop. It also is hard to start at times. The 4x4 light blinks on and off while in 2 wheel drive. The dealer is telling me the light blinking is normal, i am not sure if i buy that. Any thoughts on this?

Old 05-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

you know milton--i am disliking this kebc and kawasaki electronic 4x4 less and less---my 4 wheel drive light also blinks at inopportune times and when it is blinking, i cannot go into 4 wheel drive---when it is not blinking 4 wheel drive works ok---I say ok because sometimes it takes awhile to go into 4 wd---this sucks--I took apart my front 4 wheel drive actuator and all looks well---i also pulled the clutch cover off to blow out the dust and take a look at the kebc actuator (both actuators can be responsible for the blinking light) reading through the forums, there have been reports(numerous) that the fuses and electrical connectors under the seat can be responsible for the blinking light---I am going to check my wires and fuses today and hopefully will find a dirty or bad connection---I will post on this forum what i find--your dealer is wrong about the blinking light---it should only be blinking if there is a problem

btw--my blinking light resets and goes off if i shut the engine off and restart

Old 05-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

The stalling may be due to the vapor lock issue the 360's have. You may need to take your tank off and insulate the bottom of it.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

aaahhhh the 360 stalling and hard to start. let me guess it take a long while to warm up too.

This is a common problem on the 360 and my did the same thing until i found a kawi mehanic that found the same problem on numberous 360s i thought it was the jetting

the reall problem is the compression release for the pull start that is on the camshaft. it hangs on the 360

This is how you fix it.

Take the exahust valve cover off and bring the crank around like you would normally adust the vavles. but lossesn the exhaust vavle clearance Real loose. i mean very very loose. then pull the pull start cord six or seven times to unhang the compression release mechaism (i also turned it over a few times with the starter to be sure)

Now bring the crank to a point where there is not pressure on the exahust valve and adust to 8 thousands on the exhaust.

i did this to my 360 and not only does it start and never stall. it has quite a bit more power.

on the blinking 4x4 lite is probally a clue to something is amiss with the selinoid.

Hope this helps. it sure did on mine. its like a new quad now.

Chris

Old 05-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

After running my quad again tonight, I am very pleased with my performance--I was having some bog problems but it seems I caused them myself, but fortunately I was able to fix with a little JB Bond and a small drill bit.

After checking my wiring and fuses, the fuse that is attached to the battery box was broken--the end was loose on one side from the glass--replaced the fuse and my 4 wheel drive light didnt come on at all today---check that fuse Milton

I also said to myself that I am not gonna touch anything now since it is running so good----but the modified valve adjustment sounds like the ticket---thanx trick 25--I will post the results after I can come up with a good enough excuse to tell the wife why i am taking this thing apart again!!!!!!!!!LOL

Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

just a little sidenote if you want to just adjust the exhaust you can to it without tearing into it by jacking up the front and comming from below from the left side. i layed in between the left wheels. it worked good.

Chris

Old 05-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Chris thanks for the info, i'll try this as soon as i get a chance. Sad that i have a almost new machine and have these problems.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

yes it is sad. it was sad for me to put up with it for two years until i could find some one that could tell me what was wrong.

Chris

Old 05-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer

oh and another thing he has seen in a few quad but it is much, much rare is carberator float takeing in a few drops of gas.

Remember to change the plug when you adjust the vavle. chances are if the thing is hard to start its running a little rich. and running rich will foul the plug.

Chris

Old 05-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the paper work from when i took it to the dealer with these problems. If i thought it would do any gooo i would take it back but i have a history with them from a previious atv that they screwed up so bad a Yamaha factory tec had to come to Florida to fix it so, i don't have much faith in them but they were the only ones in the area.

Quick Reply: 05 Prarie 360 4x4 stalling problems