Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota 300 bogs down when full throttle but runs fine if I cover the intake???

Old 06-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota 300 bogs down when full throttle but runs fine if I cover the intake???

I just installed a new carb on the lakota 300. I was getting backfires and hard to start with the other carb which also was new it appeared. I Just bought it like that. after I was home I noticed when cold it was backfiring. then it sat a week and it was hard to start so I started to think carb was dirty or something.

ordered new carb. put it on and it started with less issue than the other so maybe I had done something to the other in process of cleaning.

So I have been trying to get this to run right and with stock airbox hooked up but with aftermarket flat filter in it the motor falls on its face when mid to full throttle.

but if I close off the intake with a rag it runs fine all the way to max throttle ...so it appears I have too much air.

what do I do? air / fuel mix screw or jets ?

I have factory exhaust . only thing not stock is the air filter. its not a cone so I wouldnt think I would get too much air just from that.

im close I feel it..lol..

Old 06-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like a lean main jet bog especially if you have to block the intake for it to run ok. If you're going to run a pod filter you may have to go larger on the man jet to compensate for the extra air that most will have. If this carb has an air screw( adjuster towards the back of the carb) you can turn the screw in a little and see if it helps by cutting down air. If the screw is at the front of the carb(pilot or fuel screw) this is mainly for amount of fuel you get at an idle and probably wouldn't help that much if it already has a good idle speed.Plus did you check the jets on the new one compared to the old one? May be something there also. If you need to increase the main jet I'd get at least a couple or so larger than the standard size and experiment. Plus always do a plug chop to make sure the plug has a medium brown color. If whitish,then you need to go larger on the main jet.They're offered here. FAQ Identify that jet

Old 06-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sounds like a lean main jet bog especially if you have to block the intake for it to run ok. If you're going to run a pod filter you may have to go larger on the man jet to compensate for the extra air that most will have. If this carb has an air screw( adjuster towards the back of the carb) you can turn the screw in a little and see if it helps by cutting down air. If the screw is at the front of the carb(pilot or fuel screw) this is mainly for amount of fuel you get at an idle and probably wouldn't help that much if it already has a good idle speed.Plus did you check the jets on the new one compared to the old one? May be something there also. If you need to increase the main jet I'd get at least a couple or so larger than the standard size and experiment. Plus always do a plug chop to make sure the plug has a medium brown color. If whitish,then you need to go larger on the main jet.They're offered here. FAQ Identify that jet

im not planning on changing the filter. I am using the stock airbox with aftermarket foam type filter.

both carbs are identical., I didnt open the new one but its exactly same brand as old one and neither are original carbs.

I have to block the air in order to run threw the throttle.

there is a adjustment screw on bottom of carb. since I have no paperwork on the carb I assume it was the air/fuel mix screw

here is what I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KEF300-LAKOTA-300-Carburetor-Carb-1995-2003-1999-2000-2001-2002-NEW-/122012155059?vxp=mtr

Old 06-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like a clone for a Keihin CV carb. Adjuster screw on the bottom is a fuel screw or pilot screw as they call it. Adjusts low speed fuel to mix with incoming air. Mainly for idle. I'd still check what size main jet and hopefully is will be the equivalent or is a Keihin jet. Again I'd get a few main jets. Sounds like you're still going to need them to make it run right. That and possible a little experimenting with the slide needle position,etc. Here's pilot and main jets listed for a 1995-2003 Lakota.KAWASAKI LAKOTA KEF300 main pilot slow jets kit

Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

I went ahead and ordered a Shindi rebuild kit off amazon but since I have 2 carbs already and have to wait for the kit I am going to take the carb thats not on it now and tinker with the dynojet kit I had. see if I cant get some results with it and the jets I have which are only main jets.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by gentlejax
I went ahead and ordered a Shindi rebuild kit off amazon but since I have 2 carbs already and have to wait for the kit I am going to take the carb thats not on it now and tinker with the dynojet kit I had. see if I cant get some results with it and the jets I have which are only main jets.
Here's a link providing the carb parts breakdown for a 2000 year model. A good base reference for the correct jet sizes.
Kawasaki ATV Parts 2000 KEF300-A6 Lakota 300 CARBURETOR Diagram