Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave 250 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mojave 250 ?

Hi all first post. Not new to forums but new here. I just picked up an 04 Mojave 250 with low hours and unmolested,...bone stock. 40 years old, 6ft, 230lbs. I plan to hit the trails and just general screwing around with it. I've ridden quads, never owned one. I'm into motorcycles and very handy with them. I've been searching for info on the Mojave but maybe you guys can help a bit.

Few things:
- The gears seem to run out REALLY fast. Is this common for quads of this size? I know there's various ways to change gear ratios but maybe I'm over thinking it?
- Is it OK to start out in 2nd? 1st gear seems like a waste (unless I'm uphill) since I'm only in that gear for what seems to be a second.
- I may want to "molest" her a bit,..since I am 230lbs,...by doing pod a/c, slip on and jet.
*Pod a/c - better to go with a k&n style with outerwear or will the uni 2 stage type suffice? (I under stand removing air box puts me as risk in water/mud)
*slip on - Who's the go to websites for selection and price? Rather not pay 100% retail at dealerships. I found DG pipes which seems to be half the price but for probably obvious reasons. They "that bad"? Also,....are slip ons somewhat universal so long as the pipe diameter fits? Wondering if the hanger location is specific or if they're all pretty standard?

I'd be on a budget IF I made mods, never going to race,...just a little more pep. So the top of the line $600 slip on is out of the question

Look forward to your feedback while I continue to click around here and Google to learn more. And yes,...I do have a manual (factory and clymer).

Thanks in advance. Nice to meet ya!

Old 02-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome!

My preference, I wouldn't do a pod style intake. I use foam filters for everything but sand(the one place k and n performs better). You could replace the air box lid with an outerwear style lid, or even custom make one up. If you run in mud or dust no air box is a death sentence for your engine.

DG is probably not a bad exhaust. FMF may be a better choice for power without being stupid loud. All exhausts are not universal, in fact they are usually pretty specialized as far as mounts and pipe bender to fit into the header, etc.

Starting in second is fine as long as you aren't abusing the clutch to do it. No issues there.

Someone may have geared it way down in the past. The manual should have stock sprocket tooth count and chain size/length. A larger front or smaller rear may can get the gearing better suited to your riding area.

One hot setup was to use a CDI from one of the Kawasaki motorcycles, can't remember which one at the moment.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Scooter. Few things..
When you say foam filter, do you mean a pod style filter with a round foam filter instead of the steel mesh K&N type? When the foam gets wet, I imagine it would suffocate the engine until it dries...no?. Would an outerwear over a K&N style pod work well? I really don't plan on going in deep water or running in mud. But I'm sure I will hit the occasional puddle.

I'll do a tooth count later but seller told me no mods were made. I'm reading about going to a 13T front...

For $160 maybe I'll try the DG. If it rots out...oh well.

The CDI seems like an easy swap and a good upgrade. If anyone has advice on best way to connect the KLR CDI to the Mojave I'm all ears. I am good with wiring and can solder. But wondering if there's a clip/harness that I can use that will save me time? Searching the interweb now....

Any websites I should be bookmarking?

Old 02-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I thought the CDI was a direct connection and doesn't need any wiring work.
Could be wrong though.

A good filter oil on a foam filter repels the mud and water up to a point. Something cotton style filters don't do. I ride in the north east, so mud and water is a fact of life pretty much all year and one reason I prefer foam. To me a pod filter would be a standalone in protected filter with no air box. Os this what you mean? Unless you are flat track or drag racing ok really don't see the need for that.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

You might be right about the cdi. Thought I read about an extra wire and what to do with it. Will read some more.

As for the filter, do you not like the outerwear over the pod filter idea more than oiled foam? I'm thinking if it does get mucked up you can easily remove and clean. I'm noob so I'm just thinking out loud.

I'm also NE. Yup.... there's gonna be muck.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Nope, oiled foam is the only way to roll imho. For what it is worth, you can do an outerwear cover for foam filters too. The foamies are cheap enough I usually have a spare or two cleaned and ready to go at all times. Just the filter and an outerwear style air box lid would be what I would run of I wanted to pull every last bit of power out of her.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got it.

Just realizing that I thought a 2 stage pod filter was a steel mesh wrapped in foam (2 stages) but just learned it's 2 different foams. Oops.... still learning here.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Nope, oiled foam is the only way to roll imho. For what it is worth, you can do an outerwear cover for foam filters too. The foamies are cheap enough I usually have a spare or two cleaned and ready to go at all times. Just the filter and an outerwear style air box lid would be what I would run of I wanted to pull every last bit of power out of her.
Hi Scooter. Been researching doing an Outerwear cover on the stock air box cover. When you said "Just the filter and an outerwear style air box lid would be what I would run of I wanted to pull every last bit of power out of her."....did you mean every last bit of power that a stock air box will allow? In other words,...will a modified air box lid breath as good as scrapping the entire system and just doing the pod filter set up?

I ask because I can't imagine a modified air box lid would flow nearly as well as a pod filter. I had the cover off today and I'm surprised ANY air gets to the carb with this set up!

Anyway,...just looking for clarification on what you meant. NOT looking forward to removing all the plastics to remove air box,...but if it will give me much better performance,..then maybe I'll take the time and do the pod.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

First, it is a 250. A pretty powerful 250, but still just that. I doubt there would be much power difference ditching the air box vs a modified lid. I can tell you for sure I have seen motors killed in one day just from not running a lid in dusty and muddy environments. No air box is just not worth it. A modified lid is the craziest I would ever go. Uni actually makes some little pop in filters where you drill some 1"or so holes in the box or lid and then pop in their inserts. They have a foam filter in each that is oiled and works great. Buying or modifying a lid with outerwear type material will allow even more air. Honestly if you needed more power than that and an exhaust it is time to upgrade to a larger, more modern machine. You could probably sell the Mojave and buy a decent 400ex for what you will have into it with all the mods and what not.

Again, I would only run an open filter if I were drag or flat track racing. Just remembered a time when I saw a guy ruin a brand new big bore banshee build with one Creek crossing using open filters. I crossed the same creek a dozen times that day with our so much as a drop of water in my air box.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
First, it is a 250. A pretty powerful 250, but still just that.

Honestly if you needed more power than that and an exhaust it is time to upgrade to a larger, more modern machine.
Thanks for talking some sense into me. As with all my interests and hobbies, I tend to go overboard. Can't leave well enough alone.

I ordered the Uni lid vents $10 Amazon (really cool find by the way) and a Uni foam replacement panel filter.