Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Qaud not running right..

Old 03-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qaud not running right..

so here is my problem, i have a 95 Kawasaki Mojave, i bought a rebuild kit for the carb, set the air fuel mixture(i hope is right) to the factory setting(what is shown in the book) but i'm still having problems with it staying running after i start it(kick start only) and it only stays running with the choke on and and when i keep giving it gas, and when i have it running i can only go half throttle or so, once i turn the choke off or stop giving it gas....It dies...i have called dealers and they wont tell me a damn thing. and its starting to **** me off lol.....so i really need help

Thanks

Old 03-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it only stays running with the cjoke on that tells you either have something stopping up the jets,fuel supply to the carb is weak or you have something wrong in the carb. Recheck the carb and also the jets with the oem ones you took out.Simple things like not having the carb spring and needle holder parts correct can cause problems also.http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...9920#sch431046

Old 03-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well even before the rebuild kit it ran the same...the only time it runs good is when the choke is on and i have the breather tube plugged..its the only time i can really lay into the throttle..and i have the hole air intake put back together

Old 03-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Then you might check for air leaks such as the intake manifold.Carb breather tube needs to be open.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok..but its weird that it runs greatwhen i block it. If theres no air leaks what could be the problem??

Old 03-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

Agree with polaris tech...

By using the choke to make it run, that identifies the need for more fuel. Either a circuit or jet is still clogged, or there is too much air available, i.e. an air leak. If no air leak, I suspect the pilot/idle jet and circuit first.

Should also check fuel flow from the petcock/tank.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well i used the blow gun to clean it all out and bought a rebuild kit for it. Im getting real good fuel from the tank..like i said it runs good with the air tube blocked..with me giving it gas and the choke on..i checked every jet on that carb but ill rip the carb apart again n check..

Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

Can you clarify "air tube"? I'm guessing it's the intake, like where the air filter should go, or the intake leading to the airbox/air filter?

If you have to block the intake, and choke it, to make it run.. You almost certainly have an air leak. Check the boot where the carb mounts to the engine. Really sounds like huge air leak now.

One trick is to spray the boot with something like starting fluid, WD40, even water, and listen for a change in how it runs. But it has to run fairly steady for that test. Also have to be aware of fire hazard, and getting flammable spray into the normal air intake can cause a false positive indication of an air leak.

It usually takes more than air to clear clogged carb circuits, but if you were able to feel the same flow at the other side of each circuit, that may be ok. Have found some clogs so hardened, they had to be dug out with fine wire or thin drill bits. Even after chemical soaking and ultrasonic cleaning.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

The air tube before the filter. Ok i will try that..ill get back to ya when i find out of it worked or not

Search this Thread