ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kawasaki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/)
-   -   Bayou 250 just clicks when I try to start it (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/371491-bayou-250-just-clicks-when-i-try-start.html)

bikerider 04-10-2017 11:47 PM

Bayou 250 just clicks when I try to start it

I have an 03 Bayou 250 that just clicks when I try to start it. The battery is good and the connections at the starter relay, battery and starter are tight. I cannot get it to start with the pull starter either. Any idea what is wrong?

bikerider 04-11-2017 12:15 PM

bump

merryman 04-12-2017 02:13 AM

"I cannot get it to start with the pull starter either."

This throws your question too wide, if you pull and the engine spins but won't start, that is one thing but pull and the engine won't turn over, that is quite another.

To test the electric start I use a test lamp. Switch on, connect one wire to earth, t'other to the starter lead post on solenoid. Press start button, if the lamp lights but the motor doesn't turn, (assuming the engine isn't seized) you need to strip the starter, probably needs new brushes. If the lamp doesn't light but that solenoid clicks, you need a new solenoid.

bikerider 04-12-2017 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by merryman (Post 3358006)
"I cannot get it to start with the pull starter either."

This throws your question too wide, if you pull and the engine spins but won't start, that is one thing but pull and the engine won't turn over, that is quite another.

To test the electric start I use a test lamp. Switch on, connect one wire to earth, t'other to the starter lead post on solenoid. Press start button, if the lamp lights but the motor doesn't turn, (assuming the engine isn't seized) you need to strip the starter, probably needs new brushes. If the lamp doesn't light but that solenoid clicks, you need a new solenoid.

I should have been more clear. I cannot get it to start with the pull starter as well. The engine spins over just fine.

bikerider 04-12-2017 07:14 PM

An update: I can start the bike no problem with the pull starter. I tried bridging the two terminals on the solenoid and the green neutral light goes off and I get nothing while holding the start button.

merryman 04-14-2017 02:31 AM

The starter may have an internal short, but it is most likely that either that battery isn't "good" or all connections are not "tight". Try jump leads to the battery and see if that makes any difference.

bikerider 04-14-2017 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by merryman (Post 3358281)
The starter may have an internal short, but it is most likely that either that battery isn't "good" or all connections are not "tight". Try jump leads to the battery and see if that makes any difference.

I tried a direct wire from battery to starter positive terminal and nothing but I will try running that and a negative wire from the battery. The battery is new and good and all the connections have been checked and are tight.

lciummo 04-14-2017 12:53 PM

Measure the resistance with a meter between negative term on the battery and the negative starter terminal - should be a few ohms - less than 10. If it's open, check the ground strap from the engine to the chassis and from the battery neg to the frame.

The click elimnates the relays and the solenoid I think.

Good luck

bikerider 05-04-2017 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by lciummo (Post 3358335)
Measure the resistance with a meter between negative term on the battery and the negative starter terminal - should be a few ohms - less than 10. If it's open, check the ground strap from the engine to the chassis and from the battery neg to the frame.

The click elimnates the relays and the solenoid I think.

Good luck

What setting does my multi meter need to be on to do this?

I have replaced the starter relay and starter, made sure the fuse in the relay was good, cleaned the connections at the battery and ensured that the connections for the ground strap on the engine block and power wire to the starter are tight. I am still getting the exact same problem. Clicking when pushing the starter button and when I go to bridge the bolts on the relay I get the neutral light going out and nothing happening.

BigWheelWade 05-06-2017 12:43 PM

Have someone push the starter button and take a reading with your meter right at the starter motor. If the volts are too low to turn it over, then trace backwards to the relay, and so forth.