Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

02 kawasaki prairie 650 multiple problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 02 kawasaki prairie 650 multiple problems

Hello Im new to the forums. I just recently bought a 02 kawasaki prairie 650 with 6600 miles on it. It has multiple problems the guy i bought it off of gave up on it. ok first the 4x4 actuator is bad, the speedo doesn't work at all, its not charging the battery and lastly it bogs at full throttle. The bogging issue happens when you run it above half throttle you can nail the throttle all the way and it will run for about half a city block then bog down if you return to half throttle it will catch itself and start speeding up again. I know I'm not hitting the governor it does it worse going up a hill under load then going downhill. It sounds like a car when its running out of fuel when it bogs down but it doesn't pop or backfire. i have removed the engine brake fork and also cleaned the carbs and installed a new battery so far. the bad is i don't know the history of this quad everything looks stock except for the moose power module. this thing is driving me nuts. i ordered a rectifier , speed sensor, and complete wiring harness so far should all be in next week.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

It's going to take a little patience. I bought an old Arctic Cat 500 for $400. Owner thought the motor was bad. Nope gas tank was full of crud. Once I got the tank cleaned, put inline filter, new plug, suddenly it ran perfect. I drove it another 3,000 trouble free miles, just sold it for $2,500. Bet your Kawasaki ends up being similar.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default update

Ok so I got some parts in for it. I installed the new speed sensor so now the speedo works. I cleaned all connections and installed new wiring harness with dielectric grease. I installed the used rectifier I got off ebay. It's charging the battery now but not real good the battery will stay at 12.5 idling with the lights on when the electric fan kicks on which it seems to almost run constantly after it warms up it drops to 11.7 at idle and only comes up to 12.3 at high rev. Not sure what the problem is. I installed new spark plugs also. The boging problem still exists if I go up the road in front of my house pull out at full throttle it accelerates nice till I hit 22 mph then it bogs to 18 mph if I let off to half throttle it will speed back up to 21 or 22 that's it. If it's a steep hill it's worse yet. Down hill the fastest it will go is 32 mph. I put a total of 10 miles on it yesterday just running around my yard you would never know anything was wrong with it if you never gave it over half throttle.