Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kfx 700 Charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kfx 700 Charging problem

​​​​​​I have an 04 kfx 700. The battery charging system isn't charging the battery. I know the battery is good because it will charge with a battery charger. I tested the battery voltage and I'm getting about 12.6 volts regardless of engine rpm. I unhooked the voltage regulator and tested the AC voltage coming from the stator and I'm getting about 30 to 50 volts depending on engine rpm which according to the manual is about right. I installed a new voltage regulator but that didnt fix the problem. If I hook the regulator to the stator and then leave the other plug unhooked and test the voltage I get about 11.5 volts but when I raise the rpm the voltage drops. Shouldn't the voltage go higher with higher rpm? It does this with the old and new regulators. Could the stator still be bad even though it's testing at the proper voltage?

Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

First test the stator wires are not shorting to earth using the resistance scale on the meter. If that is OK, check the wires between the battery and voltage regulator. These must not have any resistance. I use a test lamp for this, if it glows brightly at the regulator end, they are OK. Never tried testing for voltage without the battery connected, most systems use the same plug/socket for both stator and battery wires, but when working correctly, I do notice on most the battery voltage is maximum just over idle speed, dropping sharply as the speed rises then rising again. I assume this is the reg "doing it's stuff" making sure the voltage doesn't rise over the max. Most Kawasakis have an extra pin on the regulator that is another positive, but wired through the ignition, not sure what that is for, but it may be worth checking it is also getting full voltage with ignition on.