ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kawasaki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/)
-   -   Beginner/250cc trail quad? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/372379-beginner-250cc-trail-quad.html)

Robthemob 06-10-2017 09:06 AM

Beginner/250cc trail quad?

I was curious as to what a better 200-250cc quad is for an adult, but before anyone asks I can ride manual, I've ridden a 400ex but it is a friends and it is a little too much for my needs, I have ridden a blaster for a short period of time (now has a bent frame and is totaled thanks to a friend:mad:) So i was wondering what would be better for me, a Suzuki lt230(e or s, doesn't matter) or a Kawasaki Mojave 250. I like to trail ride (just to say what it would be used for) and the quad doesn't have to have many aftermarket parts available, just needs to be decently reliable and have a good source for replacement parts (I will probably use bike bandit). I don't care how outdated either is, I just need a good trail bike. Thanks for any info, it really is appreciated, and sorry for the rambling:blahblah:, but I am a newer member and want peoples opinions. I am also saying these atv's as these are the most available in my area.

MooseHenden 06-10-2017 04:45 PM

If you're not dealing with mud and snow the Mojave would work fine. Semi-automatic clutch so you don't have to pull in a clutch lever when you foot shift. Look around for a Kawasaki Lakota. We had one and liked it but the terrain and conditions we deal with in New England pretty much dictates having a 4wd. Honda Recon also comes to mind. Pretty bulletproof and last for years.

LT80 06-10-2017 05:48 PM

Don't rule out a 300ex or my favorite a Kymco Mongoose.

greg74 06-10-2017 11:48 PM

The Honda 250ex would be a good choice too. Semi-auto as well, no need to use a hand clutch. I would guess there would be just as many of those available used as well.

Scooter86 06-11-2017 06:16 AM

Go 300 ex. In the era of the lt230 or Mojave it was known as the 250x. Over time it received electric start and the motor was massaged slightly and made a little bigger. It had a long run so finding parts will be easier. My brother had a Mojave recently and ended up getting rid of it partially because it was hard to find parts for. Still, the lt230s was my first quad. Those mid 80s machines all have a treasured place in my heart. The Kawie is the better performer. Reliability is probably about the same.

HondaR24 06-11-2017 11:04 AM

I'd also reccomend a 300ex if the clutch isnt a issue. It's actually quite a bit faster than the 250s, but not overbearingly so. It also has a few inches more suspension travel along with preload adjustments.

greg74 06-11-2017 11:43 AM

The Yamaha Warrior is another one to consider. Its in the same ballpark as far as power goes as the 300ex and shouldn't be hard to find a good used one for a good price.

Robthemob 06-11-2017 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the info I will try to look and see what I find and I'll let you guys know what is found.

Robthemob 06-11-2017 07:13 PM

alright I found a 300ex for $1400 It looks to be clean and it was rebuilt with wiseco piston and fmf exhaust (seems true I can see the FMF in the pic) but it is missing a light so it looks pretty nice. There is an 01 Warrior for $1500 pretty darn close to where I'm at. There is an 87 250r (believe it or not) but I feel bad he's selling it that low it looks pretty beautiful, but it is for a fact way too much quad for me :lol: but here is a picture of it https://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_...d_1200x900.jpgThere is a Red Mojave Fully stock except twist throttle, looks pretty clean no price is listed. There is also a Lakota like 2-3 hours away for $1200, and finally a 1990? lt230e for $800 it doesn't have a cracked case and looks to be all original, So what do you guys think, and where I ride there is little or no mud, and a little shallow creek crossing, but :thanks: guys a lot for the help!

Scooter86 06-11-2017 09:13 PM

All other things being equal amongst those choices, 300ex. The warrior is a little faster, the Honda handles better and is a bit easier on maintenance. If I were closer I would buy the 250 r myself, lol.