ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kawasaki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/)
-   -   Kawasaki bayou 300 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/372642-kawasaki-bayou-300-a.html)

Jmeade 07-03-2017 02:01 PM

Kawasaki bayou 300

Keeps flooding engine. Put new plug in and cranked on it around 5 times and plug wet with gas and carbon. If I let it dry out over night it will crank and idle only if I hold the slider up inside carb. Soon as I let slider drop or try give gas it quits. And floods spark plug with gas. Carb float is 17mm per manual. Jets clean. Air / fuel screw I adjusted to 1 turn to try lean gas out but seems not to help still flood out spark plug. Diaphragm has no cracks or holes and is flexible and installed correctly. Any ideas

old polaris tech 07-03-2017 02:44 PM

Replace the float needle? If not that could be the problem if it's worn allowing fuel to bypass the float and flooding the engine.Shindy Carburetor Carb Rebuild Repair Kit Kawasaki KLF 300 Bayou 1989-2004 ATV 0

Jmeade 07-03-2017 06:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. Took carb off again and all the components inside and out look like new and clear of obstructions and seals all seated properly. Float pin looks good and is functional. Took calipers and made sure float was at 17mm. It's always been garage kept and never been used for 4 wheeling. Just drove casually around the house. Could there be any other thing i can check. Going to order the rebuild kit and replace components just in case it's something I can't detect by looking.

old polaris tech 07-04-2017 05:21 AM

Hard to tell just by looking at a float needle. Sometimes you can see a wear ring around the rubber tip or the sides of the needle will be shiny from wear. Simpler to just replace one if the float is ok and set right rather than going through the carb over and over. Cleaning a carb and adjusting the float level doesn't always solve the problem if the needle is worn.

Jmeade 07-04-2017 10:10 AM

Yea I just placed an order on a rebuild kit. Should be here by 11th. Have a good 4th of July. Heading out to do some fishing. I'll give ya an update once I get the parts installed. Thanks

Jmeade 07-11-2017 10:51 AM

Installed rebuild kit. Fires right up on full choke and idles. Soon as turn choke off it and try give it gas it sputters or dies. Have fuel pilot screw adjusted to 2 1/8 turns. Gonna try find a special screw driver to adjust pilot while it's running. Not sure what else to change.

old polaris tech 07-11-2017 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds like jets or passage ways stopped up in the carb or possible restricted fuel flow.Especially it it runs on choke,but won't take throttle. Make sure the tank and carb vents are clear and open and you have a good fuel supply to the carb.Plus check over your work. Make sure the slide diaphragm is in good shape and that you have the needle assembled correctly. Also always check repair kit jets to the oem jets to make sure they are the same.

Jmeade 07-11-2017 02:55 PM

Well took carb apart took out all jets all clear holes. Took out diaphragm looked it all over. Cleaned every orifice with carb cleaner. Looked inside fuel tank and all clear no debris found. Adjusted fuel pilot to 2 1/8 turn again. This time it fires right up with no choke and idles perfect but when you try give gas it sputters and quits. Never had this problem till one day I was at work and my daughter tried cranking it who knows how many times without gas turned on. Don't know if that would do anything but that's when the problem appeared.

old polaris tech 07-11-2017 03:05 PM

Did you pull the fuel line from the carb and check that it has good fuel flow in the on and reserve position?

Jmeade 07-11-2017 04:47 PM

Yea it has good flow on both settings. Here's a link to a video i just made of it running and bogging when I press gas. https://youtu.be/2-Peup9zQeE