Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2002 Lakota 300 No Spark

Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Lakota 300 No Spark

I am having a tough time troubleshooting a no spark condition on my Lakota. I went through the manual, the Pickup Coil is good, the Ignition coil is good, the CDI tested bad. I replaced the CDI, still no luck. According to the test procedure my brand new CDI is bad. I tried to do the mod using a GM HEI module but still no luck. With the original CDI and the GM module I have 12v getting to the coil when I do not have it hooked up. I am at a loss now. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The coil is fed positive all the time the ignition is on, like a car. The pulse that fires the coil comes from the negative wire (green/white I think), a hangover from the days when mechanical contact breakers earthed out to provide the spark.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Merryman. So, the CDI is passing 12v - even when there is no pulse signal.

I tried using my DVA to record a peak pulse while cranking. I only am seeing 8-9v while cranking at the coil. I ruled out voltage drop through sstarter by also trying to pull start. Any ideas?

Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, this may be a long shot. How many volts should stator put out while cranking? I am only getting 3 - 4v, thinking maybe that has something to do with no spark? According to the schematic it should not matter, should start without. The battery is new and charged. Any thoughts?

Old 07-05-2017, 02:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Kawasakis use an ignition system based on cars, the stator could be disconnected and it will still run, the ignition system is powered from the battery. The positive wire for the coil comes from the ignition switch not the CDI. Another pos wire from the ignition switch feeds power to the CDI. The trigger coil has two wires that feed the CDI and there is a negative to the CDI, the other wire sends a negative pulse to the coil from the CDI.