Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Is a Prairie Gas Tank Vented?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Prairie Gas Tank Vented?

Is the gas tank on the prairie vented? I come from the gravity fed world of bikes. If it is vented I wonder why it hydrolocks?

Old 01-28-2005, 05:11 AM
DOA
Range Rover

The tanks are pressurized and have a check valve I believe. If you are hearing a swosh when opening the tank it's normal.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

I believe it has a very restricted vent ( probably for enviro reasons ), & to make sure that it doesn't suck water into the tank, with it's lower location... mine is freely vented, & I have had no problems with it being that way...

Old 01-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

The tanks are not pressurized. The 650 has an electric fuel pump just like most autos have. If your 650 is hydrolocking, one of the problems is that the vent system on your fuel tank is not working properly. A lot of guys have bypassed that little vent valve thingy and have run a rubber vent line from the tank to the handlebars where all the other vent lines are. Also, your choke springs might be too wimpy and fuel is literally rammed into your carbs because of the pressure in the tank. I had problems with this pressurizing tank deal and wound up venting my fuel tank cap by disassembling it and drilling a couple of vent holes in an inconspicuous spot. When I put the cap back together, it looks like a regular cap (till you roll it and gas starts squirtin out!!). I believe there are some threads on here as to how to run a vent line from your tank to the bars. Good luck with the fix.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Well I bought the quad btw [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyway I called the dealer, they said that you should be able to blow out through that rear vent, I couldnt thus I assume the vent is blocked and temp changes smash fuel into the carbs.

Im not 100% sure what I will do yet, thinking just adding a fuel filter to the rear, I dont get into deep water so I think I would be fine doing that OR running to the bars, or ordering a new stock fuel vent.

I dont think you are supposed to hear a swoosh when you spin off the cap thats what I belive is loading the system with fuel, since the valve isnt working.

NewBeatle and MasterBlaster, do you 'free vented' guys ever have to shut your fuel off now?

Where up under the handlebars did you run?

Newbeatle where did you terminate your fuel line?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

congrats on the new quad.
i just traded that sled i won last saterday.
yesterday on a 2004 kawasaki 700p and mine is the same.
when i took the cap off the first time it poped right out of my hand.
and i was wondering the same thing.
my buddy who has a 650 cat says he gets that too but if he shuts his gas off it wont hydolock.
i was thinking about putting a vent hose on mine but i wasent sure you could do it without having 6 feet of hose and then it would always be getting pulled out.
anyways i will see what everyone suggests then ill go from there.
c ya later
ken.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new wheeler!! What year 650 is it? The only time I turn off my fuel is when I park my quad for a long period of time (overnight). There is no pressure in the tank at all and my oil doesn't smell like gas no more.

If you take the plastic shroud off your handlebars, you can see where all the vent lines go to. I believe that is where some of the guys are running the vent line too. I wouldn't bother replacing the vent valve with a new one. I'd check to make sure the little vent line on the forward end of the valve isn't plugged with mud first. If it is, unplug it and run your new vent line from there. If it isn't plugged but it still doesn't work, take it off and run a new vent line right from the tank. Have fun with yer new toy!!!

Old 01-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Cool, congrats to you too. Actually this deal came up at the last minute otherwise I would have a 05 TeamGreen this sat.

My dealer said that since that back filter is clogged it needs replace.

You should do this, pull off the hose from the T above the right rear tire and see if you can blow from that though that rear filter since I couldnt blow though the dealer said it was dead. Previous owner guessed it was that way since new since it hydrolocked very early on in life, total like 3 times.

Let me know what you find.

plainsman@wah.midco.net

Old 01-29-2005, 10:31 AM
DOA
Range Rover

Ask your dealer how many pounds pressure there is suppose to be in the tank if you think of it. That is why we have to shut off the petcock.

It's a good habit anyway, for a few reasons,

1. Your bike stock is pressurized and it will leak by if you don't shut off the petcock when stored.
2. When transporting your carb it will allow fuel by, shutting it off gets you in the habit. All quads can do this I'm told.
3. If somebody tries to steal your quad you might catch them if they are in too much of a hurry and don't know you have the gas shut off.

It's just a good habit to get into,

Old 01-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

DOA, the tank is not pressurized so there is no way the dealer can tell you how many psi is supposed to be in there. If you do have pressure in your tank, it's because that vent is blocked or broken, and that is where the trouble is. I don't turn off my fuel when I transport it and since I vented my tank properly, I've never had a problem.

Mudblaster, congrats to you too on your new toy. Now that you have some real power, ridin that Rubi is gonna be like drivin a pedal car!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Is a Prairie Gas Tank Vented?