Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KLF/Bayou 300 about to drive off cliff

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 04:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

17v is way over the top. Fit a new regulator right away as that one is slow cooking your CDI (or igniter as Kawasaki call it). Never heard of an ignition switch blowing the regulator, but you can get strange faults. In fact very few bikes have the regulator switched through the ignition circuit, on most it is connected directly to the battery. I would go for the cheap regulator, you can fit 10 of them before spending as much as a genuine one costs.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
17v is way over the top. Fit a new regulator right away as that one is slow cooking your CDI (or igniter as Kawasaki call it). Never heard of an ignition switch blowing the regulator, but you can get strange faults. In fact very few bikes have the regulator switched through the ignition circuit, on most it is connected directly to the battery. I would go for the cheap regulator, you can fit 10 of them before spending as much as a genuine one costs.
OK fitted a new regulator late last night started up same clonk clonk im sure it's mechanical, but could be wrong and or the CDI is already fried and the ignition is way too advanced or something **** knows. Gonna do more tonight checking voltages and will replace CDI also. Whilst this bike has had a tough life im trying my hardest to revive her and so far not playing ball / stubborn old goat.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Hold on a minute, the question was about the engine conking out after you had run it for a while. It was some poster on the indistructables website that said a new Voltage Reg would cure a knocking engine. Does it now keep running?

Old 03-28-2019, 05:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes was picking up on your comment about high voltage and charging googled about the Voltage regulator. Anyway fitted a new regulator last night fired up, same knocking noise (i think you also commented on) . Haven't checked voltage yet will check tonight and take for a run see what happens. Not sure if i have now fried the CDI in the process, have a spare one which i will fit after ive checked voltages are good now.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just rebuilt my petcock with parts from eBay. A very cheap way to go. Running lean would cause it to run hot, so it seems like a fuel issue to me.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Omfg! So my bike is finally working!!!

It turns out it WAS the Voltage regulator. I reversed it out the workshop and it accelerated fine 1. 2 .3 4th gear with power in each. So thanks to all of you and your suggestions and to you Merryman for picking up on the high voltage charging which made me investigate this further. So for £25 i think i managed to resolve the lack of power and stuttering issues. Stil has a bit of a knock but i think this is cam or valve issue not sure.

Weyhey!

Old 04-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Kawasaki bayou 300 also. I have found that over time the intake and exhaust rocker arms on these will end up getting tighter and causing it to not run right when it warms up. I saw a video on youtube that says to take a bad or maybe bad cdi and bake it at 300 degrees for 10 min and let cool and it should go back to working.