Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Were are all the Lakota guys at!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, just haven't hierd any good lakota talk lately, weres every one at!!

If any of ya are like me your broke untill christmas is over.

Well just thought I'd try to get something going.

Merry Christmas every one!!!!!

Old 12-22-2001, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

I'm here!! Certainly broke and probably will be after Christmas too!!

Merry Christmas to all!

Went to get the quad to take hunting Sun. last night. Turned it over a few times and it didn't start. Very unusual, it usually fires right up. Then it back fired. I knew something was wrong. Looked underneath and gas is coming out of the drain tube. GREAT!! So I knew something was up with the floats. I took the float bowl off and took out the floats and plunger. All looked ok. Put back together and prob. is still there. It was 10:30 when I got it back together and I said screw it and came home. So, now I'm gonna have the set the float level. What is the best way? Just get a ruler and bent the tang 'till I get .73"? Do you have a better way Gaff?

BTW Gaff - I read in another forum your conversation regarding higher octane gas. I do agree with the other guys, the higher the octane on lower compression, it will not run as good as it will with 87. The higher octane burns slower, thus not burning completely with lower compression engines. I remember you saying at some point you put 107 octane or so in your Lakota and I meant to ask you why, but I forgot 'till I read that post. Anyway, thought I would throw my .02 in.

Old 12-22-2001, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

The quickest way to check float hieght would be to get e clear piece of tubing and hook it to the bowl drain, then bend it like a U shape next to the carb, open the drain screw and the fuel will rise to the level in the carb, the correct level is at the seem were the bowl meets the body.
But in your case you know it's high!
the way I set floats is easy and works on every carb I ever took apart, Pull the bowl turn the carb upside down and make sure the float is level, this works on everything!

As far as high octane fuel, I still can't agree, I notice a difference in the mid range every time, very crisp, Works on the street bikes as well, I've seen just that change clean up the mid range while dyno testing instantly.
I don't have any answers I have to look into it, I have had 110 and 117 in my garage constantly for years, even makes the damn lawn mower run better.
But any way glad to see your still out thier, haven't done much as mods were concerned, to damn broke.

I raced on a moto last week end, it wasn't to organized, it was cancelled so a bunch of parents took it over and called it the run for fun, the kids loved it.
The lakota did very well, I'm not scared to put it up against any one.
I still have my foot fences and mud flaps on, thinking it would help me get a little stronger, now I'm ready to take them off, did you take yours off, could you feel the wieght loss.

Is the boss giving any time off yet.
Three more days untill the extreme machine is unleashed!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2001, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

No Gaff, I haven't taken that off yet. I tend to get into mud and without those I would be even more of a mess. I don't mind the weight that much, 'till it comes back on top of me, then the weight scares me to death. However, I do not intend on that ever happening again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]!

You said to make sure the float is level. when carb is upside down, I guess I'll have to be looking at it to understand. The floats are round, so knowing if it is level or not I just can't picture in my head. I figure at this point I'll be skipping hunting and work on the quad. I want to ride with the boy on Christmas, so I'll have to go tinker with it see if I can get it squared away so I can ride with him.

YES!! THE EXTREME MACHINE WILL BE UNLEASHED IN 3 DAYS!!! CAN'T WAIT

Old 12-22-2001, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah Gaff, just in case you are wondering why I'm not working on it now or today is because I'M AT WORK!!! SUX!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2001, 11:58 AM
Range Rover

I am here but not ridiing until i fix my top-end [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2001, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

Can anyone help me on how to get the front sprocket off. I've tried with a wratchet and socket but the motor keep turning does it have regular threads.
I wish i had a airgun. Did you all keep the chain on until you got the bolt loose? I hate to ask so many questions but i don't want to screw it up.

Old 12-22-2001, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, haven't done it yet. I'm not sure. Gaff will come back soon, he'll advise. I think he uses air though. Good question, I'm looking to change the sprocket pretty soon myself.

Old 12-22-2001, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

stebob Get a new needle for your carb. I had my friends xr500 at my house for a few months and gas was always coming out of the drain tube and the dirtbike would never start. When it did start, it would run for 10-15 minutes before gas started flowing out of the drain tube. I checked the needle and it looked like it was in good condition, so i put it back together after cleaning the inside of the carb with carb and choke cleaner. It didn't help a bit. Before messing with the float, i bought a new needle. That solved all the problems i had with it. No more gas coming out of the hose, ran like new and never died on me again. But like gaff said, it could just be the float height.

If you can't fix the problem with the float, go right to the needle.

JaMeS

Old 12-22-2001, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input yamahaguy! If the floats are ok, that is right where I'll go. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Were are all the Lakota guys at!!