Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki Prairie 650 owners please read!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Encore454, I used a silicon spray lube on mine,it made a big difference on my steering.

Old 02-12-2002, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am a Kaw Prairie 650 owner. I currently have 58 miles on mine. I have had to adjust the shifter linkage and rear brakes. I guess my main gripe is how mine is to start. When you do get it started you have to baby sit for several minutes to keep it running or it will die. The OEM Dunlop tires are less than desirable if you are looking for maximum traction. I can't wheelie (very well) with the stock tires. Just recently I have noticed my fan coming on very often. Temps now are in the 30's to 50's and I am wondering what is going to happen when it is 90 to 105 degrees. All in all it is the most powerful go anywhere and I do mean anywhere machine I have ever ridden. I am going to have to get some cosmetic replacement parts as mine already has some battle scars. Been through a couple tight trees, upside down once or twice (this was due to not respecting the raw power this machine has). I bent the front rack slightly but it did it's job of protecting the machine. I love mine and I am planning some power mods like exhaust, airbox, and carb jetting.

See 'ya in the woods, if'n you can keep up!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-12-2002, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

TrailHog, What is the name and brand of the silicon lube that you used on the steering head? And where did you buy it? It sounds like a good idea! Did you just spray it all around the steering head? Also, is that silicon spray what you used on the rest of the moving parts, or did you just use some sort of oil? If so, what is the best way to oil the moving parts like the levers and such? I was wondering if WD40, or Breakfree would be a good choice? I would prefer to use some sort of a spray lube on the moving parts just because it seams like it would be much easier.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2002, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

Toto, my 650 is cold blooded as well. Another Prairie owner told me that it is normal, they are just cold blooded. Mine fires up fine with the choke on, but after a minute or two with the choke still on it will start trying do die out on me. So I just do it as you mentioned, I baby set it for a few minutes. I fire it up with the choke, and then once running, I turn the choke off and run it at a slightly higher idle for a minute of two, then it seam's to run fine. Just the nature of the beast, and I do mean beast!
Probably the same thing that you have been doing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Area51,STP silicon spray,got it at auto parts store,I turned the bars to one side and sprayed the steering stem pipe so it would run down into and around the rubber damper inside the alum.clamp, turn the bars the other way and done the same. I used silicon because oil makes rubber swell and the silicon will last longer than WD-40,I use the same on all the other parts and cables,except the perch bolts,on them I use a high temp water proof grease (the red kind).To lube the perchs,I went to a feed and supply store that sells cattle sirenges and put the grease in there,get the ones with a big needle it works better.I also lube my ball joints with a sirenge,just use a smaller needle and stick it in the rubber boot over the ball joint,when done the hole is so small that it seals back up and doesn't leak, I've been doing that for years with very good results.

Old 02-12-2002, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks a million TrailHog! I can tell this thread is going to be worth its weight in gold for all the info on the 650 that is going to be posted here!!!

Old 02-12-2002, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider

Trailhog,
Are your numbers correct? 41 hours and 145 miles...Averages less than 4 MPH Either you do a lot of crawling like I do or you gotta unleash that baby once in a while. Squeeeeeeze that throttle and hang on!

Old 02-12-2002, 08:30 AM
Trailblazer

Got service manuel direct from Kawasaki.Its listed under parts and etc. Got it within 5 days.

Old 02-12-2002, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

Have about 23 hours on 650.Had new choke cables installed,not OEM ones but the heavy replacement ones. Also had to have shifter adjusted to get rid of loud noise.Starts right up in cold mornings but have to baby it to keep it running for 10 min or so. No problem with any fluids.

Old 02-12-2002, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Since I hit 15 hours on mine, I don't have to baby sit it after turning off the choke for very long. I turn on the choke, start it up, when it starts to sputter, I turn the choke off, hold the throttle a tad for about 5 seconds and it stays running. This is in temps from 20-30f. Also since 15 hours and 120 miles, I have gained 2 mph in top speed over 1000feet. The machine seems to get better the more I ride it and not baby it.

I have had my shift linkage adjusted the day after I got it. I had a speedo gauge wire loose that had to be hooked back up. Got the 10 hour service done and it has been great since. I do have the belt noise when its cold also, not sure what that is. Most of the problems I have heard can be fixed by simple adjustments, no big problems whatsoever.

BTW, if anyone gets their machine serviced by the dealer, check over everything to make sure it is all good and tight. They forgot to tighten the drain bolt on the rearend on mine. Luckily, they had too much fluid in there and I was able to catch it before it got too low. I had a nice size puddle of oil on my garage floor in the morning.
Sorry so long. I probably have more to say, but this is getting long.
Best machine I've ever had!
Later

Quick Reply: Kawasaki Prairie 650 owners please read!!!