Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki Prairie 650 owners please read!!!

Old 02-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 107hrs and 1113 miles. I have had my 650 for 7 months. I have had no problems, That I didnt cause. I cut a couple of inches off my rear fenders, they would sometimes drag the ground while wheeling, pulling the bolts loose on the black plastic. I also cut the plastic on the front fender where it goes past the floor board. It kept getting caught when in deep mud, and pulling the screws out. Other then that its been fliped a few times nothing cracked or bent, just a couple of broken mirrors.

650 Prairie pics & Videos

Old 02-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yes trailboss450 the hrs and miles are correct,I live on a mountain and have trails that all over the place,the trails are so steep and rocky,not little rocks,rocks from the size of the quad to rocks bigger than a house,that I probaly never get over 3-5 mph. I did get it on the hiway one time with my wife and ran 60 mph for a little while. I'm really into the slow trials type of riding more than anything.

Old 02-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well guys
good thread
21 hrs and 170 miles
Glad to see no major problem with the 650 .
I had shift adjustment by dealer after first 5 hrs took 20 minutes.
Brake adjustment just turned wing nut few turns.
Found few loose nuts and bolts on the black plastic.
Yes mines is cold blooded like the rest but ok after few minutes.I also hear knocking from my converter wnen cold but goes away after 10 minutes of riding.
Trailhog lubing of the steering head sounds like good idea .going to go out into garage and do it now. Other then that just had to install 26 Mudrunnerson stock rims. Also flipped other day just bent back bracket for rack.

Old 02-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

I've got 78hours and 652 miles and the ol' girl hasn't skipped a beat. It is probably the funnest toy I have ever had. It is as durable as they come and I am glad I spent the money for it. I plan on getting the 360 for the wife as soon as we get them in my area.

Old 02-12-2002, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

I've got about 38 hours and Have had a major problem since I got it, TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN. All jokes aside I have a litle belt squawk and have service scheduled for friday. Also my dealer is changing my choke cable as to prevent any trouble, it has stuck only once. Other than that no problems. I run Mobil 1 V Twin synthetic in the engine and front end and can say I think it is a well built machine. Have had it over the seat in mud (by accident [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) and pulled right on out without the use of the diff lock.

Old 02-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

80 some miles and only needed to adjust shift linkage. I performed all of the 10 hour service myself and the rear brake need only about 1/2 turn to bring in the adjustment. My diff lock lever was slightly in need of adjustment also.

I have had no belt sounds at all and my choke cable was replaced before I took delivery. My 650 did seem to run a bit warm during the first 10 hours. I had the fan come on numerous times during a ride in approx mid 20s temps. Since my 10 hr service I havent had the fan come on except when sitting for long periods with engine running. I did drain the radiator and replace the fluid at the 10 hr service. Maybe I had a bit of air in the cooling system, I dont know. I do use Mobil V-Twin oil and they "claim" that its specialy made for the heating characteristics of a V-Twin, I figured that was a load of bull but my fan is running less.

I've noticed a slight loss of power or acceleration my last ride and suspect my deflection may be out. I havent had the chance to check it out yet this week. I recently installed new tires and was thinking that this may be putting some extra strain on the belt.

Old 02-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Trailhog, thanks for the info for the manual. Mine is a bugger to start too. gotta baby it until it is warm. I also have a knocking noise when it is cold, but my dealer told me that this is normal. Just warm it up real good before givin er. I lube my cable ends with lithium grease as it is waterproof and seems to last. Used it on my last quad and had no cable probs.

Old 02-12-2002, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello all,

My first post....
I got my 650 on Friday (2-08). I have 46 miles, 5 hours. So far so good. Except the half-throttle thing! Can't wait to get past the 10 hour mark and open it up a bit. A question...how to I know if mine has the updated choke cable? It doesn't seem as cold-blooded as some of you seem to be experiencing with yours. I choke it all the way (if it's the first start of the day) and open it up all the way in the first 10 seconds and it runs fine without dying. So far, no unusual noises. I'm really impressed so far.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Good post area51
I have not had as good luck as everyone else with the wifes Prairie 650. On our first outing at the Utah atv Jamboree the quad performed great the first 4 days and on the 5 day the belt started squeeking and slipping. We made it back from the ride and started to drive it up the trailer ramp when the belt started to slip and smoke, I backed it off the trailer and talked to a Kawasaki rep at the Jamboree, he checked it out and said Kawasaki would take care of the problem when we got home. My dealer kept the quad almost 2 months replacing the belt and something within the driven clutch [ he never told me what]. Next ride [150 miles]no problem. The next time we took it out the clutch started chattering and grinding, the belt once again started slipping. Took it to a new dealer and while he was test riding it the belt hit the switch inside the clutch cover and it started popping and sputtering. He kept it 3 weeks replacing the belt, clutch and installing a Kawasaki up date to stop the belt from tripping the switch. Kawasaki extends my factory warranty an extra 3 months at no charge. One ride 65 miles no problem but we are going on a four day ride for Presidents day and will let all know how it goes.
Sorry about the long post
Bearman

Old 02-13-2002, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Gents - 5hrs/58 miles. Nada. Fires rite up when cold (altho a little studdy 'til warm) Runs good, stops good, looks good...no problems. Tires are junk, fixed that at 29 miles (ITP 589s and aluminum billets). Runs a little fat up here at altitude, probably goodness during my abbreviated breakin. I vented the airbox lid, got a K&N on my workbench and Top Gun is sending me their replacement silencer (no front headpipe). That should cure the fatness. Will have to hide and watch when I take it high (7500-10000'). I have a Dynojet kit also, but Kaw's reccomendations for altitude and Dynojet's are quite abit different. We'll see. Good thread. Luck to all.

Geezer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kawasaki Prairie 650 owners please read!!!