ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads-other-atv-s-ask-expert/)
-   -   2 starters in one week!! Help (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads-other-atv-s-ask-expert/317850-2-starters-one-week-help.html)

sewl33 09-07-2009 11:38 PM

2 starters in one week!! Help

After putting in new top end the bike was starting right up. But after a couple times starting the starter went out.

It would make a whinning noise but no cranking.

Got a new starter and it started right up but same thing happened. After a day of use the new starter starts making the same noise but not starting the engine.

Anyone have any ideas? It's driving me nuts trying to figure out why we've gone thru two starters this fast. There has to be something else.

LT80 09-08-2009 07:29 AM

Low voltage?

sewl33 09-08-2009 09:39 AM

By low voltage do you mean bad battery?

LynnEdwards 09-08-2009 10:33 AM

By whining noise do you mean the starter is turning but the engine is not? There is a one way starter clutch (separate from the starter motor) that allows the starter to turn the engine, but when the engine starts up the clutch overruns which keeps the engine from spinning up the starter motor. Maybe yours is slipping.

Usually if the battery voltage is low the starter solenoid will make a buzzing sound (as compared to whining). Also, if your battery voltage is low then your headlights will dim significantly when you have them on and then try to crank the engine.

LT80 09-08-2009 11:22 AM

He didn't mention in this thread that it's a LT80 Lynn.
So no light or extra starter clutch. :)

But Lynn is correct in that low voltage usually makes the solenoid buzz.
Maybe the motor is not getting a good ground. Try adding a ground wire from the frame to the motor.

sewl33 09-08-2009 12:25 PM

Sorry it is an 1987 LT80.

The starter does turn with what i call a whinning (could be a buzzing. I'm really not good at knowing the diffence between these.) but the engine won't turn.

There isn't a light kit to notice dimming.

I will try a ground. I'm thinking its the clutch though.

Thanks for all your input.

fourwheeldrive 09-08-2009 02:04 PM

It does sound like the starter is turning but not engaging the motor drive.

LT80 09-08-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by fourwheeldrive (Post 2841781)
It does sound like the starter is turning but not engaging the motor drive.

Good call.

The buzzing (if it was the solenoid) would be comming from under the seat.

Clutch...When was the last time you serviced the clutchs? Doubtfull but ya never know.

sewl33 09-08-2009 05:39 PM

Never serviced the clutch. Is it hard?

I don't know a lot but did manage to do the top end by myself.

Is the clutch much harder?

I know the starter is turning, its just not engaging the engine right.

LT80 09-08-2009 07:23 PM

Your going to have to remove the clutch cover.
Hopefully see if the starter is just spinning or there is trouble engaging with the starter gear.

Bolt the starter back in to test. Use a cpl nuts on the starter bolts to take up the space cuz of no cover.
FYI: the bolt at the 3 O'clock position on the lil cover needs to come out for the sidecover to come off.