Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

2006 Viper 90r 2-Stroke Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 07:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Viper 90r 2-Stroke Starting Issues

Good morning! New to this forum, but not small engine stuff. I just picked up a 2006 Viper 90r 2 stroke for my girls! I love this model machine as it reminds me of the Yamaha Banshee I never got to own. My time has passed, but time for my girls!

I bought this bike for $100 and its been sitting for 5 years at the pervious owners house. Yesterday was the first day I got to mess with it. All its doing is clicking when I press the start button at the starter relay. New battery as well.

What I've done so far:

1. Put the bike back in Neutral. Used the instructions online to reset the CDI box.
2. I've taken the new starter out and jumped the wire to the battery to see if it spins. Yes
3. Taken the spark plug out and tested for spark. Yes
4. Put the starter back in and tried the start button again. The bike cracks without the spark plug in. 2 cycle oil squirts out. Sound like great compression
5. Put the spark plug back in and stop cranking once compression builds in the cylinder head.
6. I noticed the starter relay connection is sticking to the wall. I've freed that last night.
7. I found my test light and tested this last night. I get 12 volts at the starter relay. I get no volts out of the relay when pressing the start button and no volts at the starter terminal.

Any insights into this?

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2020, 04:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Disconnect the lead at the starter and test if the test light glows brightly there when you press the start button. If it does, check battery and earth connections are clean and tight, and charge the battery, then try again. If it doesn't light but the solenoid is clicking, get a new solenoid.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good morning! I actually found the issue last night. The issue was that the bike would crank when the spark plug was out, but once it built compression, would stop cranking.

Since parts are cheap, I ordered a new battery, starter, and starter relay. I replaced all three and same symptoms. I found this video on Youtube and gave it a try yesterday:

I took the starter clutch assembly apart, and cleaned it. That fixed the cranking issue!

I had to drain the gas tank and reserve as well. It was like syrup. I also noticed that the carburetor was not getting gas either. The on/off/res switch as clogged. I cleaned all this and added new gas.

I cranked and started!

Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-31-2021, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer

Make sure the whole area for the clutching is clean. Brake clean and air works great.