Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

kids Coolster atv nothing happens

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kids Coolster atv nothing happens

I purchased a coolster from my neighbor when his kids outgrew it... He said it needed a carb but other than that was fine. Before swapping out the carb, I put a new battery in it and tried to start it... nothing happens when I turn the key on except the green N light will come on. I cannot turn on the lights, nothing. I replaced the remote battery hit the unlock button a bunch of times... no luck. Any idea why the ATV won't do anything include start? I have since replaced the carb on it like my neighbor suggested but it seems like all electrical components are dead in the water. Is there a fuse somewhere that I should be checking? I honestly didn't even see where any fuses would be at on the ATV.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Don't know the Coolster, but it should have an in line fuse on the main positive wire that goes from battery, or solenoid to ignition switch. However if you are getting the N light, the fuse hasn't blown. Many bikes have "lock-outs" to stop you starting the bike in gear or without the brake on, the gear type works from the neutral light so, if you get the neutral light, that should be OK, however brake lock-outs work from the brake light circuit, and the micro switches on the brake levers don't always work.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

is there a way to trick it? I noticed the rear brake light wasn't plugged in. I went ahead and plugged it in but that didn't make any difference. I made sure to hole the hand brake and the foot brake and that didn't help as well.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Another thing to mention, the headlights and the tail light don't seem to work (they aren't lite up) I did find the inline fuse and it's fine. If I knew where the brake switch was at, that would make troubleshooting this much easier or at least where I need to ground the switch to bypass it.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

There is usually one switch on each lever, almost always one on LH handbrake lever, if a set of electric wires go to the lever, the switch is at the end of them. Some are the two wire type and you can disconnect and jump them together, some are a single wire which can be shorted to earth to make brake light and start button work.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jumping the starter to the battery got it started last night. The new carb is WAY out of adjustment (smokes and revs like a ****) so that will need to be dealt with as well... There is no left hand side brake but I will check on the foot brake and the right hand brake tonight. The brakes don't seem like they want to do a good job of stopping and the handle is out too far for my daughter to get her hands around and pull... any suggestions on how to bring that handle in for her to reach? It surprises me for a small youth atv that they'd have the handle stick out that far.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Maybe the machine is too big for her.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

surprisingly enough, she fits it perfectly. I had her sit on it and she actually looks a little big for it... maybe she has small hands or maybe the brake handle is too big for a kid's atv?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

They can be a stretch for them at times.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok, so I found the issue, it was the rear master cylinder there was mud corroding the 2 ends where the wires connect... cleaned that up and put it back together and the starter works as expected... woot! first issue resolved.

Next issue, it smokes bad... like it reminds me of a vehicle with a bad valve seal or something... What can I do for this? would some seafoam help? if so, where would I put the sea foam?

Quick Reply: kids Coolster atv nothing happens