ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   Good Helmets & Throddle control screw!!!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/101517-good-helmets-throddle-control-screw.html)

Rookiewheels 05-27-2003 01:42 AM

Good Helmets & Throddle control screw!!!!!

I just purchased our first quad for the kids. My eleven year old daughter got in a pretty bad accident with the thing going around a courner and couldnt get her hand to the brake. She went into some trees. We went by ambulance to the ER. There was a minor break (chip) to her hip bone, got the wind knock out of her badly and initially had some long-lasting breathing issues and some internal bleeding that stopped within twenty-four hours. I could just hit myself for not warning and watching her more as she was trying to keep up with someone's bigger quad. We had the throddle control nearly maxxed to restrict the speed!

Anyhow, I had purchased a helmet at $139.00, goggles for $25.00, and gloves for 20.00. At first I thought I should look around for a better deal but now I have no regrets as her face, head, teeth and everything else above her neck was free from injury.

What kind of protective equipment do your kids wear?

Laurel59044 05-27-2003 09:50 AM

Never regret investing in good gear! My daughters ride ages 14 and 8, they have biffed it a few times but always---lucky and ok.
Glad to hear yours will be ok. My 8 yr old had the same troubles with her predator 90 on a sharp turn, I think we are going to get her a bigger quad, I think the kids are too heavy for those light machines, they tip easily. She has never tipped on the Bayou 220. We put her in 2nd gear and let her go. That keeps her speed down enough.

zanman 05-27-2003 02:09 PM

helmets,gloves,goggles and a good quality chest protector is a must.

the rule in our house is "no lid no wheels" that applies to everything the kids ride

Z

reconranger 05-27-2003 04:09 PM

Everything zanman mentioned plus MX BOOTS (not just work or hiking boots!). The boots are especially important in case they run over their foot. And, sometimes elbow and knee protection. It gets expensive when they outgrow stuff so quickly, but it will pay off in an emergency.

You didn't mention what kind of machine she was riding. I remember on the LT-80, you couldn't set the screw to low, or there wouldn't be enough power to get the thing going. But once it was going, it had a top speed that was to fast. Also, consider things like wider tires for a machine that may be a little tippy.

Rookiewheels 05-27-2003 05:05 PM

She was on a Dinli 90. We love the bike and it rode and looks so cool but the throddle screw didnt seem to keep the speed down. Also, I can now see where a foot brake would have been useful.

She was clearly riding too fast and regrets now not being more careful like we had warned her in the beginning. She says that she knew she was riding too fast. She has learned an invaluable lesson and hopefully so have my three younger kids.

Do you wear chest protection even when you are NOT racing?

Laurel59044 05-27-2003 05:23 PM

We have all the gear except the chest protectors, however we are shopping for some to fit the girls after this weekend. My sister kissed the front rack of the Grizzly and hit hard on the chest/handlebars. She is fine, but I'd hate to chance it with my daughters.
How wide of tires would you say is needed? This little predator has wider tires than most mini's I've seen.
The foot brake that the kids can stand on seems easier than a hand brake, and the predator doesn't have a headlight. I would think for safety reasons, polaris would put one on, but the sales rep said polaris doesn't want kids riding at night. I'd rather see the kids coming even in daylight.

reconranger 05-27-2003 08:54 PM

I rate the chest protector right up there after the helmet. Mine has saved me a broken collar bone on two occasions.

csamayfield55 05-28-2003 04:38 AM

havn't gotten a chest protector yet but because my 4 y/o has a melon like his fathers he is wearing an adult small helmet. We had to use a neck stabilizer, similar to the old football neck rolls I wore in hischool. Helps to keep his helmet upright!!
Also I am a firm believer in what is good for the goose is good for the gander, that is why if anyone rides any of my bikes you have to wear the gear!!!!!!!
Oh yeah the bikes all have whips but mostly so you can see the little guy.
Chris

TRexTommy51 05-28-2003 08:24 AM

OK, I'm getting on my soap box.

ATV's require no skill what so ever to drive. They take no disipline to drive. Just jump on and hit the gas. The problem is an ATV takes alot of displine to ride correctly. I had had people call me about wanting to widen out the little ETon Rascal because it is to tippy. I tell them no. Teach your kid is throw his weight around and slide on the seat.

As far as putting your kid on a Bayou. Your an idiot, Sorry but that is the way I feel. I'm not bragging here just trying to set the example, My boy is one of the best mini quad riders in the country. I will not let him on anything that big. No matter that you say, no matter how slow you make it, they can and will flip it.

Put your kid in school. Joe Bird is one of the top atv riders in the country. He has a riding school. Go!!!

Gear,
Helmet, Make sure it is snell approved. full face. The cheapest is a thq I think. $90
Boots, Should run about $120 for kids.
Chest Protector, Get one, Now!!!
Neck Roll, Same thing.

Buy a remote kill switch. Best money you can spend on a young kid. Stop them alot. Talk to them alot.

Throttle limiter does not limit the speed, just the power.

Don't let the neighbor ride the machine. Not unless you have seen the kid ride before. You acually think they will tell you they have never ridden one before?

Teach your kid to ride with one finger, first or middle on hte brake at all times, just like you teach them on a motorcycle. Koty like to use his first. It might take a while before they have the srength to operate it with one finger but they will become concuse of were it is almost emmediately.

Rookiewheels,
Sorry to hear about your daughter. Our prayer are with ya'll. I hope her a speedy recovery and if you need anything, just let me know.

TRexTommy51 06-03-2003 12:46 PM

Just wanted to bring this to the top again. Also, If you have not signed a petition for the hearing on June 5th with the CPSC, please go to www.atvaonline.com and do so. Thanks, Tommy
Sorry about the idiot comment. I was a little upset at the time.