Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

age and cc's

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default age and cc's

I want to buy my son a new ATV so he can come ride with me. He is 8 years old, tall for his age, and aggresive by nature. My question is this: Is a 90cc quad to much for him? I was looking at a new 50cc today and I'm not to sure how long it would keep him interested. Why buy a 50cc this Xmas only to hear him want a 90cc in a year or two? I'm sure that safety is an issue by the manufacturer, but how much of this hype is profit driven? Is there a way to adjust the speed of a 90cc Polaris? Other models?

Old 10-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default age and cc's

on my sons DRR90 there is a thortle resriction just like the 50cc and the tether cord like the 50cc . the 90cc waz only 1inch taller seat hight, so i went with the 90cc , and used the trottle screw to slow it down.my son is also very tall for hus age, so he fit on the 90 fine

Old 10-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default age and cc's

Mine is 6 and on a 50cc. He smokes on it and we are just trying to get more power out of it for now till his sister takes it over and he gets a bigger one.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default age and cc's

All the bikes have throtle limiters. We love our Honda 90's, but they are on the big side and have autoclutch shifting. The Suzuki LT80 is a great little bike too. It is smaller than the Honda and is an automatic.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default age and cc's

Spewy,

Last spring, my son was 8.2 years old. For the first month, I kept thinking a Polaris Pred-90 was too much for him. Within 2 months, he could lock all 4 tires (using its hand brakes), we had to remove its throttle limit screw, and could handle it like a pro on our unique trails. If wondering, my son has the body size & height of most 10 year olds. Today, I'm glad we got him a 90cc / 2-stroke / CVT model.

If I had to do it all over again, I would look for the following:
- A mini quad that's full auto (esecially for 1st time riders).
- A mini quad with a foot brake (especially for steep hill trail riding and fast stopping riding).
- A mini quad that has factory optional tail and front lights.
- A mini quad with 4"-Plus suspension.
- A mini quad with wide back rims (especially for deep snow, deep mud and sand riding).
- A mini quad that has a REAR shaft drive.
- A mini quad with full running boards.
- A mini quad with remote shut-off (especially for 1st time riders).
- A mini quad that has inexpensive maintenance parts.

As you can tell, NOT all quads have ALL the above features. Based on where your kids want to ride your future quad, talk to the local parents and ask them what feastures are best (for your unique riding conditions). They will emphasize some of the above items are more important then others. From there, you can then start selecting the brand(s) you need to select from. As many will tell you, don't impulse buy based on the cool looking plastic, or from what "your best friend" (who knows very little about mini-quads) told you to purchase. Always remember your kids safety and how easy that model will be to maintaine & apply mods when your kid needs more out of it....

Hope this helps....

Old 10-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default age and cc's

My son was 6 when we got him a Scrambler 90, he has had a great time with it, the size is perfect for him.I know if we would have bought the 50 he would've allready grown out of it. Go with the 90 ,you wont regret it.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Range Rover
Default age and cc's

I bought my daughter a Honda TRX90 for Christmas last year. She had just turned 9 in November. Great bike, handles well, very reliable thus far. She couldn't be more happier with it. The auto clutch/man trans took her a little getting used to, but within the first couple days of riding she had it down. I had considered the Predator 90 and the Raptor 80 when purchasing her quad. I did not like the Raptor's single swingarm fron suspension, did not look like it would ride or handle very well. Electric start was a selling point for these as the Honda only has recoil starter, but if they can't start it they can't ride off with it either. She has since got enough arm to be able to start it cold by herself. I figured that the manual trans and slightly larger size of the honda would extend its useful life to her. These things as you know are to expensive to outgrow quickly. It was/is by no means to large for her and although suspension travel is like 2.5 0r 3 inches it is avery plush and stable ride. Just my $.02 Good luck in your search.

Old 10-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default age and cc's

Hi we recently purchased the Eton Viper for my son who is seven. He has been on it day extensively since early Sept. The viper has most of the things the other writer indicated and has proven reliable and easy to handle for him. If I were you I would not consider the 50 simply because of the govenor/elec start/ flashing red eye package on the Eton viper. My boy enjoys the little options of the lights etc and would enjoy it a lot less if the machine did not have them. As for Zip, We within the first two weeks removed the rev limiter wire to add a bit more pep. He is about 65-70lbs. We are in Calgary Ab. and there is a 02 viper for sale in our trader. If you like I can pass the number on to you.