Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

DS 90 stroke Upgrades ??? Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS 90 stroke Upgrades ??? Suggestions

Whats up everyone??Happy belated Turkey Day.... I bought the 04 DS 90 2 stroke for my son,he is 11 and weighs about 65 pounds and i'm looking for some suggestions on what upgrades i should do to get this thing to run well. I have already put a clutch kit in it from Hetricks which helped as well as i took the end off of the stock pipe. I have also went to the Holeshot 18x6.5x8 rear tires. I am in the Phoenix area about 1000 ft elevation, we also ride in Glamis. I am wanting to put a pipe on it, re-jet, k&n or Unifilter strait off the carb. It seems lazy in the mid range. I would like suggestions on the jet size to go with, and if i should mess with the needle and seat?? as well as suggestions for the pipe with the most performance. And if i should get the reeds and reed cage for the stock carb?? Please help my son he wants to go faster. I would also like to take the oil injection system off this thing, does anyone know how???

Old 12-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to this forum....

I'll try to help answer some of your questions.... For reed upgrades, you can get a set from Billy Holt at WRH Racing, a set from Hetricks or other performance dealers. We have a set of WRH Racing Reed Upgrades on our Pred-90 and am very pleased with its increase in throttle response. We'll worth upgrading this performance part as well. Especially if you have a high air flow configuration.

For a pipe upgrade, you may want to try WRH Racing as well. I heard they make all sorts of different pipes for different brands. Hetricks sells them too.

If you install a pipe upgrade, Clutch Kit and reeds along with air filter upgrade, it will make your unit rev faster. Your stock CDI will probably stop it from reving too high (and fully utilizing the rest of the performance band). To go above stock RPMs, you'll probably need to upgrade the CDI as well. Check with the above mentioned performance dealers to inquire what they recommend. Especially for your unique riding conditions.

Depending upon the ground conditions you drive, making a faster unit with "stock" suspension could make it unsafe. Control and comfort safety thing. While upgrading the engine performance, you may alway want to install wider A-Arms &/or wheel spacers. We installed 1.5" wheel spacers and made our unit much less tippy. Especially when hitting fast bumpy corners. As a minimum, I'd recommend 1.5" spacers on the front, but all 4 tires would be even better. To create better suspension for the rough bumps, you could install Works, Elks, PEPs, etc. shocks, or as minimum you could install a different brand of rear shock.

For Oil Injection remove instructions, check your PM (Private Messages). I sent you the instructions.

Hope this feedback helps answer some of your questions...

Old 12-01-2004, 07:25 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: LiLKimball
I am wanting to put a pipe on it, re-jet, k&n or Unifilter strait off the carb. It seems lazy in the mid range. I would like suggestions on the jet size to go with, and if i should mess with the needle and seat?? as well as suggestions for the pipe with the most performance. And if i should get the reeds and reed cage for the stock carb?? Please help my son he wants to go faster. I would also like to take the oil injection system off this thing, does anyone know how???
I'd skip the reeds (for now) and go with a bigger carb.