ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   new quad for 7year old girl (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/187439-new-quad-7year-old-girl.html)

Ridinghard 01-16-2005 10:22 AM

new quad for 7year old girl

I am looking to buy a new quad for my daughter. I want a 50 or 90. She is VERY petite but loves to ride. I don't want to spend the 1300 for a brand name right now, I'd like to find a good inexpensive model for her first one. Any ideas?

Raptorlegs 01-16-2005 11:15 AM

$1300 would be aweful cheap for a new brand name. Even the pos kawasuki 50's run about $1500 plus tax around here.

Since you seem to like mud (judging from your pics) I'd look for a semi auto. I think you'd have trouble with a cvt. A Raptor 80, Honda 90 or Kazuma/Yamoto 110 would probably work.

Dragginbutt 01-17-2005 06:51 PM

Very petite and no experience? Definately go with a 50 for a couple years at least. Even if she howls over the speed, stick with it. As for costs, you might get an off brand for that price, but big names like yamaha, and most of the more well known brands that you can still pronounce will be in the 2K range.

You might look for a used machine, but history says that these bikes must be made of gold, as you won't find them going for much under what they went for new. If you do get your hands on a used one for decent price, and everything works... you probably will get what you paid for it, or near that anyway when you go to sell it.

Check into the local laws regarding riding, ages etc. Also, get her into a riding course as soon as you can. Even though we as parents think we know everything, there is a lot of material there that you can learn from. Make sure you take the course with her too, it just makes sense.

Get her the safety gear too... and pat her on the head and let her know just how lucky she is... Tell her Dragginbutt says welcome...

Raptorlegs 01-17-2005 07:18 PM

Just thought if she rides in mud that she might need the extra clearance and power. Otherwise a 50 would do fine for hard pack (I'd get a cvt for that).

Ridinghard 01-17-2005 07:31 PM

She'll be riding on hard level ground for a long time. She may (I stress MAY) go with us on the trails around here but I am thinking more on the lines of the logging road trails and stuff. I am looking for the off brands. I saw a write up in an ATV magazine about a few different off brand children ATV's. I just can't find it since I let my son read it. If I am going to pay $2,000 for one I will probably pay the extra and get the small sportsman I wish they made a children's scrambler though.

Raptorlegs 01-17-2005 07:40 PM

My opinion, find a local dealer that you trust unless you plan to work on the machine yourself. If that's the case, you can save big bucks through mail order. For a 7 year old, I'd strongly recommend a rear hydraulic or foot brake.

Deals are out there if you look. I paid $1180 for mine delivered to my door. Been a great buy imo.

quadduck 01-18-2005 02:46 AM

Yeah stick with the 50's. In Wash. we are looking at new legislation that pretty much follows cpsc guidlines. I guess my kids won't be getting to ride on state forest lands anymore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

rescuediver 01-18-2005 03:00 AM

Yes stick with a 50 or maybe a old Honda Fourtrax 70. Just had a friend sell his '03 Kawasaki 50 for $1300. It's electric with auto transmission. Be patient and you will find a deal that will work for you. The Honda 70 can be regulated to about 2.5 mph[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and just put it in 2nd gear and let her go. She can master a clutch as she, becomes more familiar with riding. Only down side to the Honda 70 is, it's a pull start[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But, I don't think you can go wrong with one. My youngest daughter has been riding for 5 years. She just moved up from the Honda 70 to a Yamaha Raptor 80 and has the shifting down pretty good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I got the Honda at a great price and when I sell it, I'll get the same price[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that I bought it for 5 years ago. Like I said, look around, you will find something.

Dragginbutt 01-18-2005 08:42 AM

Some of the off brand 50's are coming with many features not found on the major brands... Lights are one item I wish the big boys would include. The off brands do.... Raceway on this list has some good deals.. and they pay the shipping.

Raptorlegs 01-18-2005 10:43 AM

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Just had a friend sell his '03 Kawasaki 50 for $1300.
I'd stay away from the single speeds and micro minis.

Features to look for:
continous variable transmission (easier for a beginner but not made for mud)
front and rear tether kill switches/or remote kill switch
rear hydraulic or foot brake
electric start
lights - especially a brake light imo
PARTS PARTS PARTS

Dinli, Eton, Kasea would get my vote if money was not an option.

GPX/Unison would get my vote otherwise.